New visitor to neighborhood

  • featherbirdlady
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 21, 2002
      For the Mendo Birders, I have already called Dorothy Tobkin about this.

      For everyone else,

      This morning, Merlin was calling loudly from his condo cage. That silly
      crow, crippled permanently by a fall from a nest near Davis, CA several
      years ago and totally unable to fly, mimics the calls of ravens most of
      the time. Where he used to live, the ravens would come down and "talk"
      to him, so he learned their calls quite easily.

      Well, this morning, Merlin was calling out in that raven call, to a
      bird that was sitting outside on top of a lamp-post. This post is
      barely visible from my window; there are businesses that are in a line
      just behind the building I live in and their rooftops obscure most of
      my view. On top of that pole, bowing and cawing, was a lone American Crow.

      Now, anyone who knows the northern California coastline will tell you
      that American Crows do NOT live here. Where did this crow come from? He
      must have sat out there calling back and forth to Merlin for at least
      an hour this morning! I rehabbed a crow a few years ago, but released
      him near Willits, where there were OTHER crows of his species, and not
      near Fort Bragg.

      The other day as I walked along the railroad tracks, I thought I heard
      a crow calling, but couldn't have been sure. . .as so often Ravens will
      mimic calls and other sounds. And when I first heard this call this
      morning, I thought it was the Northern Mockingbird singing from across
      the street. When I went around to the back of the building, however, I
      realized that it was an American Crow: there he was sitting on top of
      that lamppost, smaller than our ravens, and having that typically
      crow-style bowing each time he cawed. Ravens don't caw, they "grok"!
      *laughing*

      So, if someone brought this crow here and released it, they did it an
      extreme disservice as there are no other crows here that I know of. In
      fact, I spoked to Dorothy Tobkin about the crow I had a few years ago,
      and she told me not to release it here. I would never do that, knowing
      that crows are not native to this area......and here we are.....after
      no crows for as long as I have been here (16 years), there's a crow
      hanging around outside....I wonder if I could somehow catch him and
      take him back to Willits, which is probably where he came from????

      Strange. . .crows in Fort Bragg. *laughing*

      Feather