Coastal Mendocino County

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2009
      Heavy rains, strong winds and at times huge waves on the coast this weekend. Large numbers of gulls concentrated at Van Damme and at the Navarro River on Sunday. I was not able to study them in detail (at the Navarro I just had a distant look at maybe 400 or 500 birds) because of the wind and rain but there was a (maybe) Iceland Gull at Van Damme. Needed Floyd H. and or Matthew M. to get photos etc to study in more detail. Also at the theatre parking lot in Ft. Bragg around 9:30 AM or so I got a brief look at an adult gull that had some of the characteristics of a Slaty-backed Gull. This was a definte maybe as the look was very brief .
      The gulls were gathered there when Nikki and I first parked in the Longs Parking lot. I spoke with the lady who was cleaning the theatre. She throws out left over popcorn for them, as she did on this day, and it attracts a pretty good number of gulls.

      On Saturday and Sunday there was a 1st cycle GLAUCOUS GULL on the bluffs at the end of Ocean View Drive near Pomo Bluffs Park. On Sunday there was another 1st cycle GLAUCOUS GULL at the Mendocino Headlands State Park in the monument parking lot. In Mendocino on Sunday was a male Allen's Hummingbird. Jerry White