Otter and Cormorant

  • Ron LeValley
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2009
      Hi all,

      I posted the otter and cormorant picture taken by Peter Bogdahn and sent to
      me by Tom Reid in the folder named Otter and Cormorant. If you are not sure
      how to get at it, just click on the word "Photos" in the footer of this
      message and then navigate to the folder.

      I think you will see that it is a river otter, still pretty interesting.

      Thanks Tom, for passing this along to the group.

      Ron

    • Richard Kuehn
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 10, 2009
        Birders and photographers have recorded river otters working cooperatively
        to grab, drown, and consume Western Gulls near the mouth of the Gualala
        River.

        One can stand on the Gualala River Trail behind the Surf Supermarket and
        perhaps observe it, if you’re quiet and patient.

        (Agree it appears to be a river otter with a Pelagic Cormorant, Ron.)

        Their diet is primarily fish, but they are known carnivores. There have
        been postings on NBB (North Bay Birds) of the river otters working together
        to drown and kill Brown Pelicans in Marin Co., also.

        Enjoy our wildlife,

        Rich

        Richard Kuehn

        WindandSea at The Sea Ranch