Al the Albatross update

  • Tom Reid
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2009
      Hi everyone;

      There has been much speculation around the Arena Cove as to why Al
      sightings have been so sporadic this winter; he has been away
      seemingly about as often as he has been here... yesterday and today's
      events might provide a clue. There have been Sea Otter (not River
      Otter) sightings of late, and yesterday several people saw Al being
      attacked by a sea otter; he was able to fight it off... and today
      our Harbor Master was lucky enough to get a picture of a sea otter
      attacking a cormorant and ripping it to pieces... I attached a fairly
      graphic pic to this email, but if I remember correctly there is some
      reason why that won't work... if anyone wants me to send them the pic
      so they can post it please do so. The pics that followed in this
      sequence were pretty gruesome; nature in all its splendor. Also,
      Peter Bogdahn, the Harbor Master told us that the only other time he
      has seen a Sea Otter in the Cove was in the 90's when he worked on an
      urchin boat and the kelp beds were gigantic as they are this
      year. Also, there has been a family of River Otters living in the
      creek here for years with nary a problem; as the pic shows, the otter
      in question is much lighter in color than our local River Otters.

      Peace,
      Tom Reid
      Point A

      You have been sent 1 picture.