Lake County

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 160 , Feb 10, 2009
      Doug Weidemann and I birded around Clear Lake on Friday the 6th. Our best birds were an immature ROSS'S GOOSE and an immature SNOW GOOSE on the baseball fields at Lakeside County Park in Kelseyville. We were short on time and didn't have much time to search for rarities, so we missed the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and Swamp Sparrow.

      At both Rodman Slough and the mouth of Kelsey Creek we carefully scanned flocks of 100+ TREE SWALLOWS but only found a few VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS among them. It might be a good year for early arrivals of other swallow species.

      At Borax Lake we saw six male "AMERICAN" GREEN-WINGED TEAL but not the male "Eurasian" Green-winged Teal. On Sunday the 1st we saw three male "American" and also missed the male "Eurasian."

      We tallied eight species of gulls on the lake but no rare species. The number of gulls at Clearlake appears to have declined by half during the past month. Nick Shepherd informs me that he last saw the ICELAND GULL on January 28.

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, CA
    • stevestump
      Message 160 of 160 , Nov 15, 2014