Two Moorhens

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2009
      Thu, 05 Feb 2009 -- I made a quick check of the Mendocino College 'Rail
      Pond' in the rain this afternoon and found the two COMMON MOORHENS reported
      by Barbara Dolan on Feb 1. One bird has a dusky bill and has been present
      since the Christmas Count [see photo by Rudy Yakzan
      <http://www.peregrineaudubon.org/COMO2.html>], and the other is an adult
      with a bright red bill first reported Sunday. If these reports are
      repetitious, it's because moorhens have been very rare in Mendocino Co., and
      these are very easy to see.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA