Changes to Mendo eBird Filter List

  • Matt Brady
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2009
      Hi Birders.  I'm not sure how many of you actually use eBird <http://ebird.org/content/ebird/>, but I am one of the reviewers for Mendocino County records.  Recently several other eBird reviewers and I have discussed adding several more specific options to the filters for each of California's 58 counties.  Most of these changes are not major, and will act to refine the data gathered from eBird users.  However, the next time you log in, you will notice some differences.  For example, there is no longer a "Western Scrub-Jay" option.  It is now "Western Scrub-Jay (Coastal)".  Likewise, Purple Finch, Whimbrel, Green-winged Teal and Red-shouldered Hawk, among others, have all been changed to reflect the fact that different forms of these species can be identified in the field.  In addition, several "spuhs", such as "Buteo Sp.", and several "slashies", such as "Blue-winged/Cinnamon Teal" have been added.  These changes will not affect any data you
      might have already entered into eBird, nor will they change your lists in any way.  If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to send me an email.  Thanks,

      Matt Brady
      Potter Valley