Ukiah - Mendocino Co.

  • Joe Parker
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2009
      Birded a couple of places for a few hours this afternoon around Ukiah. Was too early for the Lewis's Woodpecker on Old River Rd., but I did come across a small flock of LARK SPARROWs. The CANVASBACKs were at the Beckstoffer Pond on Old River Rd. just south of Talmadge.
      Drove up Low Gap Rd. mostly to see what it is like. By this time, the sun was going down behind the hills, so the bird activity was pretty slow. However, at a pullout 1.1 miles below the first cattleguard, I was trying to pish up a White-breasted Nuthatch I thought I had heard, when out popped a NORTHERN PYGMY-OWL. It was only about 30 feet away, and stayed out in the open for about 5 minutes. What a treat! It is amazing how fierce such a small bird can look.

      Kathy Parker
      Los Gatos