Harlan's Hawk

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 21, 2009
      Tue, 20 Jan 2009 -- This morning I saw an immature HARLAN'S RED-TAILED HAWK
      on the west side of Hwy 101 just south of the Calpella exit sitting on a
      billboard. This is possibly the same bird that has been seen south of
      Ukiah. On my return trip I saw it again in the same area on a sign on the
      east side of the freeway. -- George Chaniot
    • Bob Keiffer
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2009
        2 February 2009 - 12:30 PM Monday - The Harlan's Hawk (Red-tailed Hawk), assumed the same as discovered by Matt Brady on the Dec. CBC, was seen just north of Burke Hill adjacent to Hwy 101. Again, this is south of Ukiah. The bird was sitting atop the Vichy Springs / Jack London billboard (viewed from the northbound lane) on the east side of Hwy 101. This is a striking bird, especially in flight as the mottled white on the back gives the bird almost appears solid white on a portion of the lower back and wings. The bird flew to a heavy cable telephone line just to the north. There was good safe viewing from the side road on the west side of Hwy 101. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

      • AlbionWood
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2009
          3 February 2009 - First sighting of Allen's Hummingbird of 2009 in my
          yard. A male has taken up residence on a prominent shrub, having driven
          off the Anna's formerly occupying the spot.

          Cheers,
          Tim Bray
          Middle Ridge, Albion