Re: [Mendobirds] birding at Mendo College

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 19, 2009
      > Would somebody be kind enough to tell me where the pond/wetlands at the
      > college is? Thanks!

      Since this is a frequently asked question, I will post this to the whole
      group. Below are some directions that I have sent to several people:

      Directions: From Hwy 101 north of Ukiah take the Lake Mendocino Drive
      exit going east. Turn right at the T onto North State Street. In 0.5 miles
      turn right onto Hensley Creek Road. After you pass through the campus gate
      the road curves to the right and is lined with redwoods on each side. Look
      to the left, and you will see a pond ringed with cattails. Park in campus
      parking and walk back to the pond a few hundred yards. Viewing is good from
      the dam with light on your back. Also check another pond lower in the
      drainage. Both ponds can be seen in this aerial photo:
      <http://www.mendocino.edu/tc/pg/2109/maps_of_ukiah_campus.html>
      You can see the curved entrance road with redwoods. Ignore the vineyard pond
      in the background of the photo.

      The Common Moorhen and Green Heron have been seen as recently as Jan 18.
      Sora and Virginia Rail are present but not seen as frequently. Keep your
      ears open.