birding at Mendo College

  • J Rosen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 19, 2009
      Would somebody be kind enough to tell me where the pond/wetlands at the college is? Thanks!

      Janet Rosen
      Zanshin Art
      "When I feed the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor are hungry they call me a communist" - Helder Camara

    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 19, 2009
        > Would somebody be kind enough to tell me where the pond/wetlands at the
        > college is? Thanks!

        Since this is a frequently asked question, I will post this to the whole
        group. Below are some directions that I have sent to several people:

        Directions: From Hwy 101 north of Ukiah take the Lake Mendocino Drive
        exit going east. Turn right at the T onto North State Street. In 0.5 miles
        turn right onto Hensley Creek Road. After you pass through the campus gate
        the road curves to the right and is lined with redwoods on each side. Look
        to the left, and you will see a pond ringed with cattails. Park in campus
        parking and walk back to the pond a few hundred yards. Viewing is good from
        the dam with light on your back. Also check another pond lower in the
        drainage. Both ponds can be seen in this aerial photo:
        <http://www.mendocino.edu/tc/pg/2109/maps_of_ukiah_campus.html>
        You can see the curved entrance road with redwoods. Ignore the vineyard pond
        in the background of the photo.

        The Common Moorhen and Green Heron have been seen as recently as Jan 18.
        Sora and Virginia Rail are present but not seen as frequently. Keep your
        ears open.