Yellow-bellied Sapsucker; Historical Perspective

  • grebeman2
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2009
      The YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER that Darlene Hecomovich found on Monday (I
      saw it later that day) is only the 3rd county record. As George Chaniot
      pointed out this is an easy location to search for this bird.

      The first county record (I do not have the exact years available at my
      office) was a bird found many year ago by Rich Stallcup on Butts Canyon
      Road.
      The second record was a bird I found at Anderson Marsh State Park
      (several years later) on Cache Creek. I believe only 3 or 4 other
      people saw that bird.

      So if this bird sticks around for awhile, it should be easier to locate
      than the other good birds in the area. The Lesser Black-backed Gull,
      the probable Iceland Gull and the Mendocino County Grace's Warbler have
      all been difficult to find. Jerry White