Clearlake gulls

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2009
      Nick Shepherd saw the LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL at Austin Park at 8:05 am this morning. Yesterday he and Michael Stanley were unable to locate the presumed ICELAND GULL at Wal-Mart while searching from 9:15-10:00 am.

      I have just added a few more photos of the presumed Iceland Gull here:

      www.geocities.com/floyd_hayes/icelandgull2

      And I added three additional photos by Myron Widmer, taken while at Wal-Mart on Saturday, here:

      www.geocities.com/floyd_hayes/icelandgull3

      My free website is now out of space, so some photos will be deleted in the near future.

      Floyd
    • Floyd Hayes
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 20, 2009
        I spent several hours on Saturday afternoon diligently helping three birders find the Lesser Black-backed Gull and presumed Iceland Gull at Clearlake but neither showed up. One of the birders returned on Sunday morning and again we spent several hours searching in vain. I'm glad that Barbara Dolan and Michael Stanley scored hits on the Iceland Gull over the weekend. I haven't seen the Lesser Black-backed Gull since January 3 (has anybody else?), so perhaps it has finally departed.

        Floyd Hayes
        Hidden Valley Lake, CA
      • Floyd Hayes
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 24, 2009
          This morning Matthew Matthiessen and I found the 12th (my 11th) gull species of the season for Clearlake, a 1st-cycle GLAUCOUS GULL on the first dock south of Redbud Park. While we were photographing it the 1st-cycle ICELAND GULL was briefly seen on the same dock by David Nelson, Stan Snyder and another birder whose name I can't remember, but it flew off before Matt and I got to see it. The gulls apparently decided to boycott Wal Mart--none were on the roof at their usual time. Nick Shepherd saw the ICELAND GULL twice during the past week, at Austin Park on Wednesday morning and at Redbud Park on Thursday morning (if I recall correctly).

          Floyd Hayes
          Hidden Valley Lake, CA