Black-headed Grosbeak

  • Barbara E. Dolan
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 3, 2009
      This bird arrived at 7:55 A.M. 1-3-09.

      I had not seen it since 12-28-08 at 1:30PM. Its arrival times have been between 7-8:50 AM and 1:30PM and 3:30PM. It appears to be missing feathering on its collar at the nape, but otherwise looks and behaves okay.

      It has been flying off toward Perkins each time it is flushed.

      It ate only 11 seeds and then got flushed off by noisy WSJA .

      I have had an influx of House Finches of all colors-yellowish, oranges and reds on the males. Only a few females. One reddish male today surprised me with a bill that was very long and curved downgoing. I would guess the length 1 and ¼" to 1 and ½ ". Does anyone know about this abnormality? It was feeding fine. Barbara

      WARNING: The information contained in this message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This message may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. You are hereby notified that any unauthorized dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify HIPAA@... by E-Mail and then destroy this communication in a manner appropriate for privileged information.

    • Barbara E. Dolan
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 28, 2009
        To all; the BHGB was seen the 8:00AM in my yard. This is the first
        sighting/and visit since 1-9-09. I figure it has been feasting on the
        berries around. It only stayed seconds on the feeder nearest the house.
        It looked less ragged and the orange very bright. I was unable to see
        if feathers had returned to its nape and collar . It had a previous loss
        of feathers in the area.

        I also have a returning and/ or another WHITE-THROATED SPARROW-TAN
        STRIPE MORPH and was surprised to see again. The RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH
        was seen coming down the tree on 1-24-09. It used to come to the suet
        but it appears it its feeding more outside the yard. Barbara

        WARNING: The information contained in this message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This message may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. You are hereby notified that any unauthorized dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify HIPAA@... by E-Mail and then destroy this communication in a manner appropriate for privileged information.

      • AlbionWood
        Message 3 of 16 , May 5, 2009
          5 May 2009 (Tuesday) - this morning we briefly had a male Black-Headed
          Grosbeak in the front yard.

          Tim Bray
          Middle Ridge, Albion
          Message 4 of 16 , May 5, 2009
            Sun-Tue, 3-5 May 2009 -- We have had an adult male BHGB coming to feed
            both at our yard and the south yard (with feeders) in Ocean Meadows Circle,
            1/2 mi north of Ten Mile River for three days.

            Also, the WHT-THROATED SPARROW  is still coming to the seed as of today,
            5 May.

            Alas, I have NOT seen any of the TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS for at least
            one + week.  As I recall, the TRBL's left briefly from the pond across Hwy 1 last
            year, so hopefully they will return shortly to our area.

            Karen Havlena
            Ten Mile Area
            North of Fort Bragg, CA

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 7, 2013
              Sun, 7 April 2013 -- This morning Jim called me to the kitchen to see a male
              Black-headed Grosbeak feeding where I just put out seed.  I think this is only
              the fourth one for Ocean Meadows and the first time one has been in our yard.
              They don't stick around here on the bare, coastal bench for long.

              Jim and Karen Havlena
              North of Fort Bragg, MEN, Ca