Lake Mendocino 2/10

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2001
      Sat, 10 Feb 2001 -- Today I dodged between storms to go out to Lake
      Mendocino and peer into most every corner. The lake is still very low,
      standing at 723.1' above sea level, up only slightly from 720.5' on 22 Jan,
      at a time of year when it would normally be more than 20 feet higher.
      The waterfowl are in a late winter pattern of high numbers and low
      diversity. I saw no dabbling ducks at all, not even Mallards! No herons.
      There are probably about 3-4000 scaups with Greater predominating, but with
      zero boat activity and little wave action, they are scattered widely over
      the lake and hard to see. The biggest concentrations were in the coves on
      the east shore and south of Grapevine Point on the west shore where they
      are very hard to see. I walked as far as Little Bear Campground where I
      found a TUFTED DUCK among the scaups. Later off Ky-en Campground on the
      north shore I found another TUFTED DUCK. The first had a dark gray back and
      a short tuft, while the second had a black back and a long pony tail. This
      confirms that there are at least two birds on the lake this winter.
      South of the mesa there was an immature BALD EAGLE eating a coot on
      a stump. It had white on the top of the head, white on the back, white on
      the wing coverts, a white belly, and nearly white tail. It resembled White
      Belly II in Clark and Wheeler, but more extreme. At the Pomo Day-use area
      there was another immature flying by, similar, but with a different tail.
      Later the first eagle was sitting in the last tree on Miti spit. There is
      often a raptor of some kind in that tree.
      Back in Potter Valley the MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRD bonanza continues.
      Today there were seven birds on seven consecutive fence posts right along
      Pine Avenue by the emus. (Would you believe 7 bluebirds and a rainbow?!
      Something out of Disney.) There was also a FERRUGINOUS HAWK along lower
      Pine Avenue. -- George Chaniot

      Lake Mendocino
      Pied-billed Grebe 20
      Western Grebe 100
      Clark's Grebe 2
      Canada Goose 2
      Ring-necked Duck 5
      Greater Scaup ] 3000-4000
      Lesser Scaup ]
      Tufted Duck 2 m
      Common Goldeneye 20
      Bufflehead 50
      Hooded Merganser 1
      Common Merganser 120
      Ruddy Duck 300
      Turkey Vulture 5
      Bald Eagle 2 imm
      Red-shouldered Hawk 1
      Red-tailed Hawk 1
      California Quail 1
      American Coot 800
      Ring-billed Gull 20
      California Gull 80
      Thayer's Gull 1 imm
      Herring Gull 1 ad
      Band-tailed Pigeon singing
      Great Horned Owl calling repeatedly at midday!
      Anna's Hummingbird
      Belted Kingfisher
      Acorn Woodpecker
      Nuttall's Woodpecker
      Downy Woodpecker
      Northern Flicker including a hybrid flicker
      Pileated Woodpecker pair excavating a cavity at Deer Camp
      Black Phoebe
      Steller's Jay
      W. Scrub Jay
      American Crow
      Common Raven
      Oak Titmouse singing
      White-breasted Nuthatch
      Rock Wren Coyote Dam, near marker 025
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet singing
      Hermit Thrush
      N. Mockingbird
      California Thrasher singing, along Marina Drive mm 0.5
      European Starling singing
      Hutton's Vireo
      Audubon's Y-r Warbler
      Spotted Towhee