Pt Arena area

  • vishnu
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 17, 2002
      On Sat. 3/16 Vishnu saw exactly 4 Tundra Swans in the field that they
      frequent in the Garcia River bottom. This is down from the 20 that were
      seen there on 3/2 by the Peregrine Aud. group. At least 2 of the swans seen
      today exhibited pinkish bills suggesting immature although their feathering
      is pure white like their companions. Is this to be expected at this time of
      year?
      The cold and wind seemed to keep most birds hunkered down today so I had
      minimal sightings. I did see a Northern Waterthrush however, walking along
      the edge of the Garcia. Thanks to Matthew Mattiessen for posting his
      waterthrush photo on the Peregrine web site. Had I not recently seen that
      picture and area notation I would have been clueless.
      > http://www.pacificsites.net/~chaniot/peregrine/photos.html

      To find the N. Waterthush site follow Miner Hole Rd. almost to its end and
      park in the little lot just before the large puddle covering the road. A
      trail goes off on the north side of this lot. The first 15 ft is very wet
      but past that it is clear. In a few hundred ft the trail hits the river.
      The bird was observed walking along the gravel south shore of the river both
      to the east and west of where the trail hits.
      Al Batross was still in Pt. Arena Cove today. When I arrived a surfer had
      paddled over on his board and had his face within 2 ft. of the bird's and
      was smiling blissfully. The surfer, that is. Al looked totally
      indifferent.