Spillway & S End of Lake Mendocino

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 2008
      Sat, 13 Dec 2008 -- Barbara Dolan and I birded around the south end of Lake
      Mendocino today doing some scouting for the CBC next Saturday. We got a
      ride to the spillway, birded there, and walked back across Coyote dam, which
      is not officially open yet.
      At the spillway we found a cooperative pair of RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROWS
      on the pipe and the rockwork on the east side of the cut. There was a SAY'S
      PHOEBE foraging from the tops of what low weeds it could find after brush
      and cattails have been cleared. We could not find a Rock Wren there as
      usual, but on the walk back we found at least three ROCK WRENS at the very
      south end of Coyote Dam near the last bench (CBC Area #2). They have not
      been displaced by the recent activity where 50,000 tons of new rip-rap have
      been added to the dam. At the north end of the dam we also found a Rock
      Wren on the white barrier just inside the gate. This wren also went
      underneath the bucket of a huge piece of earthmoving equipment - not
      intimidated!
      At the south boat ramp the SNOW GOOSE is still present, and a HERRING
      GULL has joined the other gulls.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA