Monday Trip

  • cheripillsbury
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12 2:10 PM
      Hi All,

      I made it up the coast Monday. I arrived in Bodega Bay around 9 am
      and parked at the Sandpiper Restaurant. Within ten minutes I had the
      Emperor Goose in my scope.

      Continuing on, I pulled into the Point Arena Wharf at twelve noon. I
      was shocked to see the Laysan Albatross paddling around with a couple
      of gulls a few feet from shore. I can't do pelagic trips, and I've
      been looking for an albatross since 1981- so I was thrilled. I set
      up my scope and watched him for a half hour.

      Apparently, I had used up my luck for the day. I got up to Fort
      Bragg and asked around for Glass Beach. I was there from 1:30 to 3,
      but I couldn't find any Harlequin Ducks. The light was horrible to
      the south, but I scoped as well as I could. The only bird of note
      was a Peregrine sitting atop a high rock looking ticked off the whole
      time. The only ducks I saw were a pair of Mallards.

      After a quick meal at Denny's I hit MacKerricker Park and walked out
      to Laguna Point. I stayed until dark, but no Rock Sandpipers. There
      were curlews, Whimbrels, seals, turnstones, oystercatchers,
      mergansers, etc. but not my target bird. Sigh.

      Still, it was a lovely day. I think next year I will come directly
      to Fort Bragg for the two target birds I missed. Maybe I will meet
      up with one of you familiar with the area so I don't spend so much
      time hunting for locations!

      Thank you,
      Cheri Pillsbury
      Stockton