Am.White Pelicans at LM

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2008
      Thu, 11 Dec 2008 -- At 10:00 this morning I found five AMERICAN WHITE
      PELICANS at the north end of Lake Mendocino. They were sitting on the edge
      of the mud and swimming in the water near the north boat ramp. (CBC Area#3)
      I may have seen them as early as 08:30 but I could not see them well enough
      to ID. At 10:40 they took off, circled up among the vultures, and headed
      off toward Clear Lake. Geoff Heinecken and Cheryl Watson arrived just in
      time to see them in flight before they disappeared across the ridge toward
      Lake County. Congratulations to Geoff on his 300th Mendocino bird!
      This encounter reinforces my impression that the white pelicans which
      occasionally appear at Lake Mendocino are day-trippers from Clear Lake and
      don't hang around very long.
      The SNOW GOOSE is still present among the domestic geese at the south
      boat ramp (CBC area#2). Two weeks ago there were six species of gulls, but
      they have dwindled to Ring-billed and California. I was unable to find Kate
      and Steve's Eurasian Wigeon, but it could still be around. There was an
      adult BALD EAGLE sitting in the last tree on the Miti campground spit (CBC
      Area #3).

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA