Covelo & Round Valley - Rough-legged Hawk

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2008
      Thu, 4 December 2008 - Today, I spent hours in the Covelo &
      Round Valley area looking for Lewis's Woodpecker and Rough-
      legged Hawk.  I covered almost every accessible road in the
      valley.  Finally, I found a 1st year ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK on
      East Ln.  This is in the NE corner of the valley.
      On Dobie Land, I could not find any clue of Lewis's Woodpecker
      being there.  Of course, I searched all over the valley, but there
      were no Lewis"s in sight.

      Prior to my arrival in the Round Valley, I came over from the
      coast on Branscomb Rd and Dos Rios Rd from Laytonville.
      When I reach Dos Rios bridge, I stopped and looked over the
      sides with my binoculars.
      There were at leat 55+ King Salmon resting just north of the
      confluence of the Eel River and the N Fork of the Eel River.
      Later on, I checked two other places, where I saw about 10+
      salmon each time.  My unofficial total was 55- to 75 salmon.

      Karen A Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg, CA