12/3 MEN So Coast Area - Unusual Hawk Incident

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2008
      3 December 2008 -- I drove south along Hwy 1 to check on a report
      of a Rough-legged Hawk between Manchester, Irish Beach and Elk.

      I saw 3 Ferruginous Hawks and numerous Red-tailed Hawks in the
      area.  Since Jim and I were in the same place on Nov 29 & 30, I was
      interested in finding the Rough-leg (which we did not see on the
      dates mentioned above).  I concentrated on the fields north of Irish
      Beach, as well as north of Manchester.  Unfortunately, I could NOT
      find a Rough-legged Hawk.

      I witnessed an unusual scrape between a Ferruginous and a Red-
      tailed Hawk.  The Ferruginous was easy to spot, because of its
      light colors.  While I looked at it, a Red-tailed Hawk landed within
      2 feet of the FEHA.  The FEHA spread its wings, while the RTHA
      challenged it.  The FEHA must have had a mouse in its talons.
      This fight accelerated with the FEHA "winning" the food prize.

      ALSO --- Further south, I drove Stonboro to the end of Bristol
      (just north of the Garcia River).  Five SNOW GEESE still had
      one ROSS'S GOOSE with them on Brush Creek.  No Tundra
      Swans have arrived.

      Karen Havlena
      Fort Bragg, CA