Lewis's Woodpecker

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2008
      Wed, 26 Nov 2008 -- Sorry for the delayed report, but on the 26th I saw a
      LEWIS'S WOODPECKER at the end of Burris Lane in Potter Valley. It was in
      the top of the oaks to the north. A resident of the area also told me she
      had seen one in the same area recently. I was back on the 29th and did not
      see one. We did not see any on the Peregrine field trip to Round Valley on
      the 23rd. It seems to be a low year for Lewis's although the acorn crop
      appears moderate.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • Bob Keiffer
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 25, 2009
        24 January 2009 - Saturday - I did some birding around Ukiah area. From Hopland to Ukiah via the River Road I refound the LEWIS'S WOODPECKER on the King Ranch ...near mm 7.54. There is a sharp sweeping turn with a gate and a temporary metal-pipe cattle corral in rather open grassy area with brush piles on the north side of the road. A line of power poles heads directly NW across the flat area (there is a farm-pond dam face to the east) and the Lewis's flew to the top of one of these poles ... the top of which is almost obscured by a deciduous oak tree (the third pole I think). The bird also flew into the adjacent oak tree and then NE to another oak tree ...however it does not spend much time in the tops of the oaks but rather down in the interior canopy. About 16 HOODED MERGANSERS and RING-NECKED DUCKs were on the pond across from Fern Canyon Road ...also on the River Road. Several CANVASBACK were on the Beckstoffer Pond just south of Talmage. A MERLIN was in this are also ...atop a redwood tree just about 1/8 mile south of the pond ...almost across from Twining Road.

        There was a ROCK WREN near the very beginning of the Coyote Dam ...just below the entrance gate barrier. Two GOLDEN EAGLES flew west to east over the dam ... one bird was missing several primary and secondary feathers on it's right wing but it seemed to fly OK.
        Single SNOWY EGRET and GREAT EGRET were seen along the base of the newly rip-rapped dam face. The water level in Lake Mendocino is at it's second all-time low for this date, which the 1977 drought year being the only lower year.

        A quick look up Low Gap Road did not produce the December's Red-naped Sapsucker ...but I only looked and listened for ten minutes or so.

        Good Birding! Bob Keiffer

      • Robert J. Keiffer
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 17, 2009
          16 March 2009 - The Lewis's Woodpecker on Kingfarm between Talmage
          and Hopland on the Old River Road was again on it's favorite
          telephone pole at 6:00PM.
          This is near mm 7.54 ...the sharp turn with a gate and cattle corrals
          on the north side of the road. The "favorite" telephone pole is the
          third pole from the road to the north ...the one very near and almost
          behind a deciduous oak tree. If one walks west along Old River Road
          from the mentioned sharp turn, then one can look "back" and see the
          telephone pole without branches in the way. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

          Robert J. Keiffer
          Principal Supt. of Agriculture
          UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
          4070 University Road
          Hopland, CA 95449
          (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

          arena." Theodore Roosevelt

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 6, 2010
            Good Evening Birders:

            Today I visited Burris Lane in Potter Valley. Near the east end of the road at the pond overlook, there was a Lewis's Woodpecker. It was on a fence post directly across from the wide out where you park. It was the fence post just west of the bush. When I finally got out of the truck, it flew across the road to the south side and went into an oak tree just south of the closest power pole. It stayed there for awhile and then flew down to the large oak (still on the south side of the road) closest to the end of the road. It flew back and forth between those two trees. This was from about 1:15 to 1:40 pm on Wednesday. The bird appeared to be about half way in between an adult and a juvenile. Either that or it was molting.

            Some of the other birds included: Say's Phoebe, Lark Sparrows, Yellow-rumped Warblers, Western bluebirds, Amer Wigeon, etc.
          • Robert J. Keiffer
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 13, 2010
              Saturday - 13 Nov ember 2010 - A Lewis's Woodpecker along University Road on
              the UC- Hopland Research and Extension Center, about 200 yards north of
              "Vassar Corner, and about 100 yards north of the vernal pool pond which is
              on the west side of the road. In the oaks adjacent to a wide pullout on the
              east side of the road. Wood Ducks were on the vernal pool pond this morning
              also. US Border Collie Handlers Association sanctioned sheep dogs trials
              also going on all day today and tomorrow and the public is welcome to watch
              .just follow the signs. food available. Good birding. Bob Keiffer.

            • Dave
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 30, 2011
                Jack Booth just called me to say he saw a Lewis's Woodpecker on the the Boonville Road (Hwy 253). The bird was about 400 yards past the McGrath place on the road bank. This is going east to west, after you get up on top, you will see a house with a gate off to the right, go about 400 yards past the gate.

                Dave Bengston for Jack Booth
              • Robert Keiffer
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 24, 2012
                  22 September 2012 - Saturday - Last Saturday I saw an adult and an immature Lewis's Woodpecker to the east of Burris Lane in Potter Valley. Although flying over private property, the birds would have been "spottable" with binocs from the high view point at the end of Burris Lane by looking north over the open oak/savannah type area. Also seen were two Say's Phoebe's. Good Birding. Bob Keiffer

                  [Toolkit_Email_Sig_WIN]
                  Robert J. Keiffer - Superintendent
                  4070 University Rd.
                  Hopland, CA 95449
                  707-744-1424 ext. 112
                  Office hours: Monday-Friday 8:00-5:00

                • Robert Keiffer
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 24, 2013
                    24 October 2013 - Thursday - This morning I saw one lone Lewis's Woodpecker while driving to work on University Road east of Hopland. It was on the UC Hopland Research & Extension Center at the top of the Vassar Grade (the steep climb on University Road). It was flying north, but then alighted atop a blue oak tree. In past years lone LEWO or very small groups have wintered in localized spots on HREC. If that happens with this bird, and the finding of it is predictable, I will post again. Good Birding. Bob Keiffer rjkeiffer@...<mailto:rjkeiffer@...> Oh ... I also had an adult bald eagle carry a fish overhead near the HREC entrance sign at the "bottom" of Vassar Grade.