Laysan Albatross

  • cheripillsbury
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 9, 2002
      Hello Again,

      I've been told the LAAL leaves Pt. Arena the first or second weekend
      in March.

      So, if any one sees it this weekend, could you please post that fact?
      (As I'm coming up Monday).

      Thank you,
      Cheri Pillsbury
      Stockton
    • Robert Keiffer
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 27, 2003
        26 November 2003, Wednesday, Grace Steuer reports that "AL", the presumable same Laysan ALbatross, has returned to use Point Arena Cove as a resting area for the 10th fall/winter season in a row. This bird was first discovered using the cove ten years ago by Jim Booker and Tod Easterly.

      • Robert Keiffer
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 28, 2003
          Saturday, December 27, 2003 - "AL" the Laysan Albatross flew into Point Arena Cove at about 1:00 PM landing just on the north side of the pier. By the time I ate my soup and got my camera it had swum (is this a word?) out to the first round white buoy ball. Here I watched it pick bits of seaweed or barnacles or something off of the ball, turn to its right side and drop the bits into the water. It would also occasionally paddle its feet very briskly almost sitting "upright" in the water for a second or two. It rather reminded me of when waterfowl stretch upright on the water and flapp their wings ... except that "AL" did not flap his/her wings. I'm not sure if it may have been displaying some sort of courtship behavior (to the white ball?).

          After about fifteen minutes it flew to the south, circled around a couple of surfers in the water, then flew back to the north past the pier, where it landed right next to another surfer in the water. The surfer reached out an appeared to feed something to AL. The surfer then paddled the rest of the way to shore leaving AL sitting on the water.

          Jerry White reported seeing the bird on Friday the 26th also, about 2:30 PM. The sandwich/cafe shop nearest the pier has a couple of great photos of AL hanging on the wall. Reported by Bob Keiffer

        • Robert J. Keiffer
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2004
            Wednesday - 1 Dec. 2004 - Grace Steurer reports that "AL" the Laysan
            Albatross was at the Point Arena Cove at 1:00 PM today. The bird first
            showed up on Nov 28th. this is the bird's eleventh consecutive winter
            season of using the cove as a resting/loafing spot.

            Robert J. Keiffer
            Principal Supt. of Agriculture
            UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
            4070 University Road
            Hopland, CA 95449
            (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

            Theodore Roosevelt

          • Bob Keiffer
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 30, 2005
              30-November-2005 - Grace Steuer reported to me that a surfer told her that "Al", the Laysan Albatross that has frequented Point Arena Cove during the last dozen winters, returned several days ago. Grace personally saw the bird today to confirm. I repeat this every year, but Point Arena Cove from now through probably Late February provides THE BEST CHANCE of seeing a Laysan Albatross with your feet planted on firm ground (not in a boat on a pelagic trip) of anywhere in the 48 states or probably North America.

              In past winters, based upon reports and personal experience, one has about a 50% chance of seeing it in the cove on any day. Arrival and loafing time for the bird in the cove varies ...sometimes being there first thing in the morning, other times arriving in the morning, mid-day, or late afternoon. If you plan on viewing this bird plan on walking out on the dock several times during the day to increase your chances of seeing it. Some days it apparently does NOT come into the cove.

              Good Luck, Bob Keiffer

            • Bob Keiffer
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 30, 2005
                Friday, December 29, 2005 - "Al" the Laysan Albatross arrived at the Point Arena Cove around 4:00 PM after having not been there for three days (checked routinely by Brian and Karen Fitch (spelling?) from the Bay Area). "Al" cooperated by eventually flying near to the dock to settle in for the night.

                Brian told me that one or possibly two Glaucous Gulls (2 year birds) were at the cove earlier that day.

                There were numerous Eared Grebes and a few Horned Grebes in the cove also.

                I'm sure that I don't have to warn folks...but don't plan a trip to Point Arena until this strom event has passed....you may get locked in there due to flooding.

                Good wet birding! Bob Keiffer

              • Jeff Price
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 28, 2006
                  Is the Laysan Albatross still being seen in Point Arena? I tried a few times last year without success and would like to try again in early February.

                  Also, are any Rock Sandpipers wintering in the area? I know they are likely at the jetty in Arcata but would rather not go that far north if I don't have to.

                  Thanks!

                  Jeff Price
                  jtpbirder@...
                  Paradise, CA

                • Bob Keiffer
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 8 7:31 PM
                    Wed/Thurs 5/6 April 2006 Grace Steurer reported to me that "AL" the Laysan Albatross was at Point Arena Cove on both of these days in the late afternoon. This is the first time to our documetned knowledge that "AL" has continued using the cove into the month of April before annual departure (to Midway perhaps?).
                    Good Birding - Bob Keiffer