Hawk identification?

  • Angie
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 25, 2008
      I'm not well schooled in identifying the various hawks so I'm hoping
      someone can help.

      For the past couple of weeks a hawk has been trying to get into my
      aviary here in Pine Mountain. He/she finally gave up trying and sat on
      the back of a patio chair for a few minutes so I got a good look and
      studied my bird book. It's definitely a juvenile but the Coopers,
      Sharp Shinned, and Goshawk all look so similar at the juvenile stage.
      This one had very delicate streaking on the breast - almost as if the
      brown marks were on the edges of the feathers. Also had very
      pronounced spots on his/her back. My bird book shows that only on the
      Goshawk. I'm sorry I did not get any more identifying marks than that.
      I was so enthralled watching it just sit there, I didn't run to get
      the camera! What do you think?