PAS Covelo Trip

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2008
      Sun, 23 Nov 2008 -- The Peregrine Audubon Society had its annual field trip
      to Covelo and Round Valley today. The day started out with heavy ground fog
      in Ukiah and Willits, but along the Covelo Road we managed to find an
      AMERICAN DIPPER and a BALD EAGLE near Dos Rios, and an adult PEREGRINE
      FALCON at the sandstone cliffs. Round Valley was fogged in also when we got
      there and didn't begin clearing up until about 10:30. After that we began
      seeing things: multiple FERRUGINOUS HAWKS along Fairbanks Road and Dobie
      Lane, a PRAIRIE FALCON, and quite a few more raptors. A coyote in a field
      on Dobie Lane flushed up several birds which turned out to be two ravens and
      a SHORT-EARED OWL. The owl climbed above the ravens and circled in view for
      a full 15 minutes. At the lunch site at the Eel River Ranger Station we
      turned up a CANYON WREN just below the picnic tables.
      For a full trip report check the Peregrine Audubon website in a day or
      so:
      http://www.PeregrineAudubon.org/20081123.html

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA