Ferruginous Hawk

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 16, 2008
      Sun, 16 Nov 2008 -- This afternoon there was an adult FERRUGINOUS HAWK
      along the Hearst-Willits Road east of Willits.
      This morning at the south boat ramp at Lake Mendocino there were
      six species of gulls continuing: Bonaparte's, Ring-billed,
      California, Thayer's, Herring, and Glaucous-winged.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • Linda Perkins
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 14, 2012
        Fri. December 14 - Fort Bragg
        This afternoon I made a quick trip out to Bald Hill north of Fort Bragg
        and saw a ferruginous hawk who treated us to a nice display of wheeling
        about, hovering over the fields, perching on a fence post and then soaring
        off again.
      • Robert Keiffer
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 23, 2015

          22 February 2015 – Sunday – I normally don’t post Ferruginous Hawks … but even as winter visitors they are a bit scarce in the Yokayo and Sanel Valley regions (Ukiah & Hopland).   I observed a lone Ferruginous Hawk flying low over a vineyard next to the Crofoot Ranch about 4 miles north of Hopland.   As I drove on Highway 101, I watched the bird paralleling me about 200 feet away, a red-tailed dove on it from above.  The Ferruginous Hawk rolled over in the air and the two interlocked feet and the two began spiraling and falling towards the vineyard floor.  A second Red-tailed Hawk was also about 50 feet away.   By that time I had passed and did not have time to turn around to figure out the outcome.  I hope they negotiated a peaceful outcome.  Good Birding.  Bob Keiffer  Hopland   rjkeiffer@...     rjkeiffer@...