Horned Larks - Laguna Point, MacKerricher SP

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 2008
      Sat, 15 Nov 2008 - Mid to late afternoon, I saw two HORNED LARKS
      just south of the tip of Laguna Point.  Both birds were fairly plain, but
      one of them had yellow lores, superciliums and throat.  They were
      scared over to a large, short grass-covered "island" about 40 meters
      south of the point.
      Above the exposed rocks, about 20 MEW GULLS were hawking
      insects like nighthawks, and offshore many Pacific Loons and Western
      Grebes flew south.
      It was a fabulous afternoon, warm, still and crystal clear!  A great day
      to finally get the Horned Larks for my MEN list.

      In the morning at high tide, the two Rock Sandpipers could not be
      found, according to Toby Tobkin.  They still could be there, or maybe
      a couple more will arrive soon.

      Karen A Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg, CA