Lake Mendocino birds 11/15

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 2008
      Greetings Mendobirders- Cheryl Watson, Geoff Heinecken, Barbara and I went
      to the dam parking lot at the south end of Lake Mendocino early this
      morning for some casual birding. We saw a good variety of gulls...well,
      good for Lake Mendocino, but not so good for Lake County. In the immediate
      area of the parking lot, among dozens of CALIFORNIA GULLS, we found single
      adult and first-winter HERRING GULLS, a first-winter THAYER'S GULL (seen
      several days ago by George Chaniot), and a first-winter GLAUCOUS-WINGED
      GULL. Out over the lake there was an adult BONAPARTE'S GULL. An adult
      BALD EAGLE was unsuccessfully strafing a large group of Coots. A flock of
      36 SNOW GEESE, including a dark morph bird, circled the lake briefly before
      leaving directly east towards Clear Lake.

      Chuck

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      Ukiah, CA 95482

      cevaughn@...