Weekend Coastal Birds 8-9 Nov

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 10, 2008
      Sun, 9 Nov 2008 - I saw ten White-fronted Geese on Bald Hill Rd,
      off Pudding Creek Rd.  There were many Canada and a few
      Cackling Geese in the fields also.  No Burrowing Owl nor Ferrugious
      Hawk, as yet here.
      Also Sunday 11/9 - Toby Tobkin saw a Black-legged Kittiwake
      from Laguna Point in MacKerricher SP.  No Rock Sandpipers yet.

      Sat, 8 Nov 2008 - David Jensen found a Ferruginous Hawk south
      of Elk along Hwy 1.  We also saw many Red-tails and Kestrels,
      Wst Bluebirds and Yellow-rumped Warblers.

      Karen Havlena
      Fort Bragg, CA

    • Richard Kuehn
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 10, 2008
        If any of you happen to be driving south on Highway 1 into Sonoma County
        during the next couple of days, you may wish to swing into Bodega Bay for a
        few minutes and attempt to locate an immature Yellow-billed Loon, which was
        discovered there Saturday by Rusty Scalf. Though the bird apparently dives
        for extended periods of time when feeding, it has been well seen by others.

        Alan Wight, a birder from Petaluma who Dean Schuler and I met high in the
        French Alps several years ago as we searched for Alpine Choughs,
        photographed the bird yesterday. He has placed a couple of images of this
        bird on his website at
        http://www.sonic.net/~shwand/birds/yellow_billed_loon_110908.htm.

        Here is one of Alan’s images-Yellow-billed Loon

        The Yellow-billed Loon, known in Britain as the White-billed Diver, is a
        relatively rare bird that nests in the arctic tundra regions of North
        America and Eurasia. This species is closely related to the Common Loon and
        often confused with it. However, it is distinguished from the latter by bill
        shape and color. The Yellow-billed Loon generally breeds further north of
        the range of its smaller and more widespread relative, although the two
        species overlap considerably on marine wintering grounds in the Pacific
        Northwest. Increasingly Yellow-billed Loon has been recorded wintering well
        inland in North America, a phenomenon that probably stems as much from
        improved information on field identification of loons in Basic plumage as
        from any shift in their range.

        HTH and Good Birding,

        Rich

        Richard Kuehn