Re: Lesser Black-backed Gull at Clearlake

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 8, 2008
      Nick Shepherd, Mike Stanley and I saw the LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL at Austin Park from 7:25-7:55 this morning. Barbara Dolan joined us later and we relocated it on the roof of WalMart from 9:15-9:45.

      The landfill will not allow any birders to enter but the gulls can still be viewed from the road above the landfill. Nevertheless, there were only a few hundred gulls and most departed when an employee began firing at them with a paintball gun.

      To my dismay we could not find a Heerman's Gull.

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, CA
    • dhecomovich
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 11, 2008
        Today. along with 2 Chico birders, we refound and viewed from 9:00-9:30
        am the Lesser Black-backed Gull at the Clearlake Landfill. The gull was
        still present when we left. The road to the landfill was closed because
        of the Veterans' Day Holiday, but we were able to achieve good viewing
        by taking the Quackenbush Mountain Road immediately above the landfill
        road.
      • Floyd Hayes
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 16, 2008
          Yesterday I briefly saw the gull on the roof of WalMart from 9:48-9:50 am, when about 200 gulls were present. I was unable to find it earlier in the morning when about 1000 gulls were present.

          Floyd Hayes
          Hidden Valley Lake, CA