N. MEN Coast 11/06/08 Tri-colored Blkbirds, etc

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2008
      Thur, 6 Nov 2008 -- Today seemed liked a good day for birding. Low
      pressure and cloudy skies beckoned me out to see what was about.

      ** North Coast-  I went north to Hardy Creek and drove south to locations
      along Hwy 1.  Hoping for good alcids, no small alcids were at the usual
      locations.
      At Westport STP,  there was a N MOCKINGBIRD.  Earlier in the week,
      we had a N Mockingbird in our yard at Ocean Meadows (perhaps the
      same bird ??).
      At mm 72.00, I saw about 40-50 TRI-COLORED BLACKBIRDS near
      a small herd of cattle north of the large turn-outs on Hwy 1.  This is
      the old site of Newport.
      There has been an imm. Peregrine Falcon and a Cooper's Hawk in the
      Ocean Meadows neighborhood, as well, for a couple of days.

      ** Toby Tobkin had a MERLIN at Virgin Creek by the small bridge over
      the creek.  Also, there were 6 Snowy Plovers and 50 BBPL's.

      Karen A Havlena  &  Toby Tobkin
      Fort Bragg, CA

    • feather7023@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 2008
        Hi Karen,

        Speaking of Peregrine Falcons, I got a shot of one at Virgin Creek today on the rocks I call "Frog Eye" just south of the creek itself and along the headland cliffs. . .the rock with the two 'eye holes' above and just south of where the Harbor Seals lay on the flats there.

        It was an adult. The photos weren't that good.

        If anyone wants to see. ..I will e mail them privately. . .just let me know :)

        Feather