Re: Lesser Black-backed Gull at Clearlake

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2008
      I thought a few tips might be helpful for those searching for the Lesser Black-backed Gull. At all localities the light is best in the morning. The gull is very easy to pick out among the gulls (mostly California and Herring) by its notably darker mantle (I've seen only one adult Western Gull during the past month, including Sunday). The largest gull concentrations over the weekend were at the landfill and on the roof of WalMart. We got permission to enter the landfill on Saturday, but if they deny you permission you can view the flock from a road above the landfill (from where we picked it out in the rain on Saturday). The roof of WalMart is easily viewed from the top of the dirt bank beside the parking lot (have fun scrambling up the bank!), but sometimes the birds shift to the roof of the adjacent supermarket, where they are more difficult to view. The gulls tend to shuttle back and forth between WalMart and the landfill, so if you can't find it at
      one locality it's probably at the other. Gulls often congregate on the docks and pilings at Austin Park and Redbud Park, and on the water off Redbud Park; very few use docks between the two parks. Along Golf Avenue, just south of Redbud Park, gulls have been gathering consistely on a dock that can be viewed between the homes; the dock can also be viewed from the end of the long dock at Redbud Park.

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, CA
    • Floyd Hayes
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 5, 2008
        Nick Shepherd saw it at Austin Park at 8:00 am this morning.

        Floyd Hayes
        Hidden Valley Lake, CA
      • Floyd Hayes
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 8, 2008
          Nick Shepherd, Mike Stanley and I saw the LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL at Austin Park from 7:25-7:55 this morning. Barbara Dolan joined us later and we relocated it on the roof of WalMart from 9:15-9:45.

          The landfill will not allow any birders to enter but the gulls can still be viewed from the road above the landfill. Nevertheless, there were only a few hundred gulls and most departed when an employee began firing at them with a paintball gun.

          To my dismay we could not find a Heerman's Gull.

          Floyd Hayes
          Hidden Valley Lake, CA
        • dhecomovich
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 11, 2008
            Today. along with 2 Chico birders, we refound and viewed from 9:00-9:30
            am the Lesser Black-backed Gull at the Clearlake Landfill. The gull was
            still present when we left. The road to the landfill was closed because
            of the Veterans' Day Holiday, but we were able to achieve good viewing
            by taking the Quackenbush Mountain Road immediately above the landfill
            road.
          • Floyd Hayes
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 16, 2008
              Yesterday I briefly saw the gull on the roof of WalMart from 9:48-9:50 am, when about 200 gulls were present. I was unable to find it earlier in the morning when about 1000 gulls were present.

              Floyd Hayes
              Hidden Valley Lake, CA