Peregrine Falcon

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2002
      Sunday, 3 March 2002, Observed one male Peregrine Falcon diving numerous
      times at a Common Raven that had landed on the rock face on the north side
      of the Squaw Rock (directly across from the large pullout along the
      southbound lane of Hwy. 101). From his actions I am quite certain that
      the pair of Peregrines are nesting again on Squaw (Indian maiden?) Rock
      which is located between Hopland and Cloverdale...but did not view the
      traditional nesting ledge.
      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040
    • Feather Forestwalker
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 23, 2007
        Sighted an adult Peregrine Falcon at Pudding Creek today, perched on the rock to the north of the main beach - I was hiking along the cliff trails shooting panoramics of the ocean when I spotted it sitting on the tall rock (looking north) which, from that distance and perspective, has Baxman's Gravel Co. on the cliff behind it. I took several shots when I realized there was a bird on the rock. Thought it was a gull at first. Got closer, zoomed in, and there was a Peregrine Falcon sitting there! Posted the images to the Photos section. They're not that good but at least you can tell they are of a Peregrine Falcon.

        Enjoy,

        Feather

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2010
          I have noticed increasing numbers of robins in the Talmage area for the last two weeks. There are not yet thousands like the last couple of years, but there are more and more every day. This afternoon also in Rogina Heights I watched a Peregrine Falcon perched atop one of the Doug Firs eating what I supposed to be a robin but hoped it was a starling. They are also starting to gather. They are all here to help harvest the grapes.
        • birdmanofthewoods4
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 19, 2012
            The PEREGRIN FALCON that seems to return to the Mendocino Headlands the last few winters is back. Also known to me as "Gull Killer". At least I think it is the same bird as it is hunting the exact same spot it does every winter. It is possible another falcon has found the same perfect ambush spot, but I think it is "The Slayer of Gulls" and it is back.

            Mendocino Headlands is off of Heesser Drive west of Mendocino. The spot is directly out west from Bird Rock on the furthest rock. Look just to the right of the spine. Look for the bird that is trying to look like a rock.