3/2 coast trip

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2002
      Greetings Mendobirders: The Peregrine Audubon Chapter field trip, with 12
      folks along for the day, had a long and eventful trip to the coast today,
      from Arena Cove to Laguna Point. We arrived at Point Arena shortly after
      930 and the Laysan Albatross glided in shortly thereafter, giving all of us
      great views of all of its plumage from every angle. It landed less than
      100 yards away, tucked its head, and was still sleeping when we left. We
      watched EXACTLY 20 Tundra Swans and EXACTLY 14 Canada Geese on the Garcia
      River flats, according to Herr Chaniot. We moved north to the mouth of the
      Navarro River for lunch, and watched a Glaucous Gull bathing in the river
      for a short while. Still moving north, Herr Chaniot spotted a distant Gray
      Jay for us from the visitor center. There was a short discussion about
      whether or not the bird, which was SOOO distant, was actually in Mendocino
      County. Consensus was that the bird may have been in Lake Co, but we were
      going to count it anyway. On to Ward Avenue for the regular winter Black
      Scoters, this time accompanied by a pair (m,f) of Long-tailed
      Oldsquaws. We also were able to pick out some Ancient Murrelets not too
      far out. We were approaching 90 spp on the day, when time ran
      out. Temperatures were approaching 70 on the coastal strand, warmer than
      we are accustomed to in August. It was a great day!!

      Chuck Vaughn

      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      1550 Deerwood Drive