10/30 Tropical Kingbird & Gtr Wht-fronted Geese

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2008
      Thurs, 30 Oct 2008 -- With storms approaching, I thought the low
      pressure would make favorable conditions  to look for birds.  A
      flock of 7 GTR WHITE-FRONTED GEESE were grazing in a green
      field opposite Matson Bldg Materials on Hwy 1, just north of the
      parking area for Virgin Creek access.

      Late this afternoon, I was still charged to keep looking for another
      "year bird."  So, driving north from Ten Mile Rvr, aiming for Hardy
      Creek at mm 83.50 (and thinking of Jerry White all the way), I
      stopped everywhere.  I thought that the Westport STP would be
      a good spot for Tropical Kingbird.
      I did find a TROPICAL KINGBIRD -- it was at Juan Creek, below
      and east of the Hwy 1 bridge at mm 83.00.  I would not have seen
      it, except for a Belted Kingfisher, saving the day!

      As I was scanning the creek from the dirt road on the south side
      of the creek, a kingfisher calling loudly,  flew from under the bridge
      right along the edge of the willows lining the creek.
      It startled the Tropical Kingbird, which flew a few feet to the west.
      It landed, facing directly toward me, so that I could see its bright
      yellow belly and the slightly, lime green sides of the breast!
      This was 280 for my 2008 year list.

      Number 280 for my MEN County list was a Common Tern, just over
      a year ago on 9/2/07, thanks to Chuck Vaughn (PS- welcome home,
      Chuck!!).

      Karen A. Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg, CA