RE: [Mendobirds] Flycatcher ID

  • Feather Forestwalker
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 22, 2008
      It was on the trail (YESTERDAY) south in MacKerricher State Park, near the small fenceline on the horse trail -

      I will attach a photo of the location...with the fenceline. The shot is looking back north towards the main observation deck at Laguna Point, though the deck is not visible in the shot.

      Also attached are more shots I have just finished working.

      It's closer to Virgin Creek Beach than to the observation deck. . .not far off the Haul Road, really.

      Feather

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 22, 2008
        This was a very good exercise. It's hard to see the tail well but as Joe Morlan pointed out, the secondary edges definitely appear paler than the primaries, more like Ash-throated. Compare the secondaries in these two photos:

        Ash-throated Flycatcher: http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/tyrannidae/atfl00.jpg

        Dusky-capped Flycatcher: http://picasaweb.google.com/jonlowes/CostaRicaMarch2007#5046168354786803122

        Floyd Hayes
        Hidden Valley Lake, CA
      • scre@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 22, 2008
          Taking a look at other photos the bird is indeed? an Ash-throated Flycatcher.? I think I need to play around with the coloration controls on my monitor as this isn't the first time color appeared off on it compared to others monitors. The secondaries looked washed on my monitor.? The additional photos do show it to be an Ash-throated Flycatcher, sorry to cause the confusion.? The additional photos show all the field marks that I stated ruled out Ash-throated Flycatcher in my last post.? I'm going to stop trying to id bird photos on the internet till I look at them on another computer.? A good lesson on iding single bird photos on monitors that have different settings.

          David Vander Pluym
          Ventura, Ca

        • Feather Forestwalker
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 22, 2008
            David,

            It's OK. I had to do a lot of post processing on the photos. . .it's probably *not* your monitor, in other words.

            The sun glared on his feathers, and no matter how much I adjusted hue, saturation, shadows and highlights to compensate post-processing, it didn't come out exactly right. It's easier for me to shoot photos of birds when they aren't so darned skittish :)

            Example: a raven in MacKerricher State Park has become my 'friend' and sang ravensong at me. . .caught it on video. . .sure made me laugh.

            Onwards and upwards on eagle's wings,
            Feather

            Taking a look at other photos the bird is indeed  an Ash-throated Flycatcher.  I think I need to play around with the coloration controls on my monitor as this isn't the first time color appeared off on it compared to others monitors. The secondaries looked washed on my monitor.  The additional photos do show it to be an Ash-throated Flycatcher, sorry to cause the confusion.  The additional photos show all the field marks that I stated ruled out Ash-throated Flycatcher in my last post.  I'm going to stop trying to id bird photos on the internet till I look at them on another computer.  A good lesson on iding single bird photos on monitors that have different settings.

            David Vander Pluym
            Ventura, Ca

            McCain or Obama? Stay updated on coverage of the Presidential race while you browse - Download Now!