Re: [Mendobirds] Barred Owls

  • JHUNTER323@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1 5:40 PM
      Birders,

      I had the pair of Barred Owls (and the saw-whet) last night at Montgomery
      Woods. They started calling on their own about 6:00. What a great place to
      spend time looking for birds. Thanks very much for keeping everyone
      informed about those birds. If I'd checked my email I would have known to
      look for that long-eared. Ouch!

      With all due respect to Robert Keiffer and the California Parks and
      Recreation biologist that did not want the word about these owls to spread
      too far, I find this request (i.e., "don't post to CALBIRD to outside
      birders") somewhat unreasonable. It does not seem fair to attempt to shun
      members of a user-group simply because some members of that user group broke
      the rules in the past. I doubt if other outsiders are similarly shunned.
      There is a real bias out there in some circles against birders, especially
      the dreaded listers, which baffles me. When you consider habitat loss,
      feral cats, noise/trash from all the (non-birding) visitors, etc., wildlife
      in State Parks face much bigger threats than those posed by birdwatchers. I
      should note that the biologists at State Parks bust their butts to help
      wildlife.

      Sorry if this was an inappropriate use of this excellent listserver.

      John Hunter
      Arcata, CA
    • Robert J. Keiffer
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 20, 2004
        Saturday, January 17, 2004, Heard two Barred Owls calling back and forth
        just at dusk at Montgomery Woods State Park. They began at about 6:00 PM
        on their own. The assumed female was responding from the se direction (we
        were at the first main "Grubb Grove"grove of big trees) .. calling
        somewhere near the Kellie Owen grove. The assumed male was calling from
        the eastern segment of the loop trail and worked his way down the hill in
        the direction of the parking lot. They called for about 15 minutes or
        so. No other owls were heard.

        Robert J. Keiffer
        Principal Supt. of Agriculture
        UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
        4070 University Road
        Hopland, CA 95449
        (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

        Theodore Roosevelt

      • vishnu
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 15, 2004
          Hello all,
          I hit it good this afternoon. Walking in Montgomery Woods I was just at the
          Kellieowen Grove when the deep silence exploded with a deep owl call
          somewhat behind me and then from within the grove a more complex Barred Owl,
          "Who cooks..." type call. They spoke loudly to each other for a few minutes
          as the first owl flew into the grove; eventually joining the other on a high
          branch and apparently food which had been brought in was exchanged.
          Good views for about a minute and then the one flew off leaving its mate in
          the grove.
          This occurred at 6:20 pm and though I remained in the area for another hour
          there were no subsequent vocalizations or appearance.
          Vishnu
        • Robert J. Keiffer
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4, 2005
            Thursday - 3 February, 2005 - 6:40 PM - Jerry White and I ventured to
            Montgomery Woods S.P. which is about 14 miles west from Ukiah on the Orr
            Springs Road (just past the Orr Springs Resort) in hopes of hearing the
            Barred Owls that have resided there for the last couple of years. Both
            Jerry and I had unsuccessful attempts during the last month. This time
            we were successful, hearing two Barred Owls calling back and forth from
            high in the treetops in a southerly direction from the Kelly/Owens grove
            ...which is on the SW end of the main walk loop. This is consistent with
            their location from prior years. No other owl species were heard despite
            an ideal night for hearing sounds in the distance (no wind/no water
            noise). Over the years I have personally heard six species of owls here
            ... Barn Owl, Spotted Owl (no seemly displaced by the Barred Owl), Barred
            Owl, Saw-whet Owl, Northern Pygmy Owl, and Western Screech Owl. Good
            Birding! Bob Keiffer