Flycatcher ID

  • Feather Forestwalker
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 22, 2008
      Is this an Ash-throated Flycatcher? It was much larger than any of the smaller empidonax (sp?) flycatchers, such as Pacific-Slope, etc., and seems to fit the description of the Ash-throated.

      http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/wximagenew/f/Feather3/6201.jpg

      Thanks in advance. The photo was taken yesterday at MacKerricher State Park.

      Feather

    • scre@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 22, 2008
        Feather, all,
        Most Ash-throated Flycatchers have departed the state by now so I was intrigued by your photo which appears to be a DUSKY-CAPPED FLYCATCHER, which I believe would be a First county record, Humboldt and Sonoma Counties each have three records (from the Rare Birds of California), the bird is a CBRC review species and the photo and a written description should be submitted (see http://www.wfo-cbrc.org/cbrc/).? This would be the earliest record in the state by 8 days I believe.? The lack of rufous in the tail, small bill, rounded head, brown auriculars, and bright yellow below combine to rule out Ash-throated and other Myiarchus recorded in the state.? Congrast on the great find!?

        David Vander Pluym
        Ventura, California

      • Feather Forestwalker
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 22, 2008
          Thank you, David.

          One person so far has said they're not sure if it's an Ash-throated or a Dusky-capped. Another person said it was 'perfect' for an Ash-throated.

          Now I'm not so sure. Anyway, I appreciate all the efforts at the ID. The bird was very skittish and wouldn't sit very still for very long, so this rather blurry, glared shot was the best of several blurrier ones.

          I will see what I can do to post-process the remainder of the shots that aren't so blurry so we can see the rusty tail. . .(I thought I saw more rust on it than the photo shows. . .).

          Feather

          Most Ash-throated Flycatchers have departed the state by now so I was intrigued by your photo which appears to be a DUSKY-CAPPED FLYCATCHER, which I believe would be a First county record, Humboldt and Sonoma Counties each have three records (from the Rare Birds of California), the bird is a CBRC review species and the photo and a written description should be submitted (see http://www.wfo- cbrc.org/ cbrc/).? This would be the earliest record in the state by 8 days I believe.? The lack of rufous in the tail, small bill, rounded head, brown auriculars, and bright yellow below combine to rule out Ash-throated and other Myiarchus recorded in the state.? Congrast on the great find!?

          David Vander Pluym
          Ventura, California

        • Joseph Morlan
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 22, 2008
            On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 18:17:54 -0400, scre@... wrote:

            >Feather, all,
            >Most Ash-throated Flycatchers have departed the state by now so I was intrigued by your photo which appears to be a DUSKY-CAPPED FLYCATCHER, which I believe would be a First county record, Humboldt and Sonoma Counties each have three records (from the Rare Birds of California), the bird is a CBRC review species and the photo and a written description should be submitted (see http://www.wfo-cbrc.org/cbrc/).? This would be the earliest record in the state by 8 days I believe.? The lack of rufous in the tail, small bill, rounded head, brown auriculars, and bright yellow below combine to rule out Ash-throated and other Myiarchus recorded in the state.? Congrast on the great find!?
            >
            >David Vander Pluym
            >Ventura, California

            Yes, it's one of the flycatchers in the genus Myiarchus and they can be
            notoriously difficult to tell apart. While it is a little late for an
            Ash-throated Flycatcher, it is certainly not unprecedented.

            I may well be wrong, but I see the photo a little differently from David.

            1. Dusky-capped Flycatcher has rufous edged secondaries; this bird does
            not.

            2. Dusky-capped Flycatcher has faint wing-bars while this bird seems to me
            to have strong well-defined wing-bars.

            3. Dusky-capped Flycatcher usually shows rufous on the outer edges of the
            tail feathers and sometimes rufous on the uppertail coverts; this bird does
            not.

            4. Dusky-capped Flycatcher has a proportionally long thin bill, while this
            bird seems to have a rather short bill.

            Dusky-capped Flycatchers have a very distinctive call, and vocalizations
            are usually the best way of telling these confusing flycatchers apart. If
            Feather can refind the bird and listen for call-notes, that would clinch
            the identification one way or another.

            In the meantime, I think the bird is probably an Ash-throated Flycatcher.

            --
            Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
            S.F. Birding Classes start Oct 28 http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 22, 2008
              I heard the call. . .somewhat reminiscient of the alarm call that a Black Phoebe gives. It wasn't the same, but close.

              Note to Floyd: I have other photos that I will rework.

              Feather

              >Most Ash-throated Flycatchers have departed the state by now so I was
              intrigued by your photo which appears to be a DUSKY-CAPPED FLYCATCHER, which I
              believe would be a First county record, Humboldt and Sonoma Counties each have
              three records (from the Rare Birds of California), the bird is a CBRC review
              species and the photo and a written description should be submitted (see
              http://www.wfo-cbrc.org/cbrc/).? This would be the earliest record in the state
              by 8 days I believe.? The lack of rufous in the tail, small bill, rounded head,
              brown auriculars, and bright yellow below combine to rule out Ash-throated and
              other Myiarchus recorded in the state.? Congrast on the great find!?

              >David Vander Pluym
              >Ventura, California

              Yes, it's one of the flycatchers in the genus Myiarchus and they can be
              notoriously difficult to tell apart. While it is a little late for an
              Ash-throated Flycatcher, it is certainly not unprecedented.

              I may well be wrong, but I see the photo a little differently from David.

              1. Dusky-capped Flycatcher has rufous edged secondaries; this bird does
              not.

              2. Dusky-capped Flycatcher has faint wing-bars while this bird seems to me
              to have strong well-defined wing-bars.

              3. Dusky-capped Flycatcher usually shows rufous on the outer edges of the
              tail feathers and sometimes rufous on the uppertail coverts; this bird does
              not.

              4. Dusky-capped Flycatcher has a proportionally long thin bill, while this
              bird seems to have a rather short bill.

              Dusky-capped Flycatchers have a very distinctive call, and vocalizations
              are usually the best way of telling these confusing flycatchers apart. If
              Feather can refind the bird and listen for call-notes, that would clinch
              the identification one way or another.

              In the meantime, I think the bird is probably an Ash-throated Flycatcher.

              --
              Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
              S.F. Birding Classes start Oct 28 http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/

            • Ron LeValley
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 22, 2008
                I had already responded privately to Feather saying it was a "perfect"
                Ash-throated. Maybe we should go look for it. Where exactly did you see it?

                ron

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 22, 2008
                  It was on the trail (YESTERDAY) south in MacKerricher State Park, near the small fenceline on the horse trail -

                  I will attach a photo of the location...with the fenceline. The shot is looking back north towards the main observation deck at Laguna Point, though the deck is not visible in the shot.

                  Also attached are more shots I have just finished working.

                  It's closer to Virgin Creek Beach than to the observation deck. . .not far off the Haul Road, really.

                  Feather

                  I had already responded privately to Feather saying it was a "perfect"
                  Ash-throated. Maybe we should go look for it. Where exactly did you see it?

                  ron

                  >Most Ash-throated Flycatchers have departed the state by now so I was
                  intrigued by your photo which appears to be a DUSKY-CAPPED FLYCATCHER, which
                  I believe would be a First county record, Humboldt and Sonoma Counties each
                  have three records (from the Rare Birds of California), the bird is a CBRC
                  review species and the photo and a written description should be submitted
                  (see http://www.wfo- cbrc.org/ cbrc/).? This would be the earliest record in
                  the state by 8 days I believe.? The lack of rufous in the tail, small bill,
                  rounded head, brown auriculars, and bright yellow below combine to rule out
                  Ash-throated and other Myiarchus recorded in the state.? Congrast on the
                  great find!?

                  >David Vander Pluym
                  >Ventura, California

                  Yes, it's one of the flycatchers in the genus Myiarchus and they can be
                  notoriously difficult to tell apart. While it is a little late for an
                  Ash-throated Flycatcher, it is certainly not unprecedented.

                  I may well be wrong, but I see the photo a little differently from David.

                  1. Dusky-capped Flycatcher has rufous edged secondaries; this bird does
                  not.

                  2. Dusky-capped Flycatcher has faint wing-bars while this bird seems to me
                  to have strong well-defined wing-bars.

                  3. Dusky-capped Flycatcher usually shows rufous on the outer edges of the
                  tail feathers and sometimes rufous on the uppertail coverts; this bird does
                  not.

                  4. Dusky-capped Flycatcher has a proportionally long thin bill, while this
                  bird seems to have a rather short bill.

                  Dusky-capped Flycatchers have a very distinctive call, and vocalizations
                  are usually the best way of telling these confusing flycatchers apart. If
                  Feather can refind the bird and listen for call-notes, that would clinch
                  the identification one way or another.

                  In the meantime, I think the bird is probably an Ash-throated Flycatcher.

                  --
                  Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
                  S.F. Birding Classes start Oct 28 http://fog.ccsf. edu/~jmorlan/
                  California Bird Records Committee http://www.wfo- cbrc.org/ cbrc/

                • Floyd Hayes
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 22, 2008
                    This was a very good exercise. It's hard to see the tail well but as Joe Morlan pointed out, the secondary edges definitely appear paler than the primaries, more like Ash-throated. Compare the secondaries in these two photos:

                    Ash-throated Flycatcher: http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/tyrannidae/atfl00.jpg

                    Dusky-capped Flycatcher: http://picasaweb.google.com/jonlowes/CostaRicaMarch2007#5046168354786803122

                    Floyd Hayes
                    Hidden Valley Lake, CA
                  • scre@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 22, 2008
                      Taking a look at other photos the bird is indeed? an Ash-throated Flycatcher.? I think I need to play around with the coloration controls on my monitor as this isn't the first time color appeared off on it compared to others monitors. The secondaries looked washed on my monitor.? The additional photos do show it to be an Ash-throated Flycatcher, sorry to cause the confusion.? The additional photos show all the field marks that I stated ruled out Ash-throated Flycatcher in my last post.? I'm going to stop trying to id bird photos on the internet till I look at them on another computer.? A good lesson on iding single bird photos on monitors that have different settings.

                      David Vander Pluym
                      Ventura, Ca

                    • Feather Forestwalker
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 22, 2008
                        David,

                        It's OK. I had to do a lot of post processing on the photos. . .it's probably *not* your monitor, in other words.

                        The sun glared on his feathers, and no matter how much I adjusted hue, saturation, shadows and highlights to compensate post-processing, it didn't come out exactly right. It's easier for me to shoot photos of birds when they aren't so darned skittish :)

                        Example: a raven in MacKerricher State Park has become my 'friend' and sang ravensong at me. . .caught it on video. . .sure made me laugh.

                        Onwards and upwards on eagle's wings,
                        Feather

                        Taking a look at other photos the bird is indeed  an Ash-throated Flycatcher.  I think I need to play around with the coloration controls on my monitor as this isn't the first time color appeared off on it compared to others monitors. The secondaries looked washed on my monitor.  The additional photos do show it to be an Ash-throated Flycatcher, sorry to cause the confusion.  The additional photos show all the field marks that I stated ruled out Ash-throated Flycatcher in my last post.  I'm going to stop trying to id bird photos on the internet till I look at them on another computer.  A good lesson on iding single bird photos on monitors that have different settings.

                        David Vander Pluym
                        Ventura, Ca

                        McCain or Obama? Stay updated on coverage of the Presidential race while you browse - Download Now!