wing-tagged TUVUs

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 13, 2008
      13 October 2008 - Many of you probably saw my earlier post (early
      September) about Turkey Vultures and Common Ravens captured and
      marked here at the UC Hopland Research & Extension Center as part of
      a statewide lead-exposure study. The turkey vultures (TUVUs) were
      marked with round white patagial (on the wing) tags that have large
      black numbers on them. These numbers can be read fairly easily
      (binocs or spotting scopes) while the bird is sitting or flying.

      Thus far, here are the re-sighting localities:

      TUVU # 79 - 19 Sept. 2008 - observed by myself along Hwy 175, about
      two miles east of "Old Hopland" which is just a few miles south of
      the capture location.

      TUVU #79 - 29 Sept. 2008 - observed by Alison Sheehey and many
      observers (mob) near Weldon, CA (Kern River Reserve area)

      TUVU# 95 - 28 Sept 2008 - observed by Jerry White near Juan Creek Hwy
      1 bridge, north of Westport, Mendocino County

      TUVU# 67 - 5 Oct 2008 - observed by myself one mile west of Hopland /
      Hwy 101 along Feliz Creek Road, Mendocino County

      I thought that folks might be interested! Good birding. Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road