Virgin Creek

  • Feather Forestwalker
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2008
      Today on an impromptu (i.e. 'accidental') bird walk (read 'physical therapy'), at Virgin Creek Beach just north of Fort Bragg, I encourntered two bird species that I am unsure of, species-wise.

      Pipit - maybe American (?) on the beach near the creek.

      Also on the beach several flocks, loose and tight, of what appeared to be Black-bellied Plovers, but I cannot be certain.

      I did get photos. E mail me if you would like to see and help me with my ID.

      Thanks,
      Feather

    • fred.andrews47
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 11, 2009
        At Virgin Creek

        August 11 - 11:30 am. Overcast skies.

        Canada Geese
        Mallards
        Brewers Blackbirds
        (1) Great Egret
        (1) Black Phoebe
        Killdeer
        Western Sandpipers
        (1) Willet
        (6) Whimbrels
        Western Gulls
        Heerman's Gulls
        Turkey Vultures

        Offshore Rocks:

        Pelagic Cormorants

        Fred Andrews
      • birdmanofthewoods3
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 23, 2012
          Nice sunny day for a trip to Virgin Creek along the Fort Bragg haulroad. Saw a male GREEN-WINGED TEAL which was not totally right (see photo posting link below), but still plenty beautiful. Not quite in breeding plumage? Also a male NORTHERN PINTAIL with two females, RUDDY DUCK, SURF SCOTTER, etc. etc. Good duck day on Virgin Creek.

          Also seen our accidental YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD who persists at Virgin Creek and now has a harem of two female BREWERS BLACKBIRDS. I'm looking forward to some xanthocephalus x cyanocephalus hybrids come this spring. A long shot since they are seperate genuses I know, but then we would have a semi-yellowed-headed blackbird.