Prairie Warbler in Gualala

  • Richard Trissel
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2008
      Hello -

      First, thank you to all of those that responded so generously to my query regarding south county hot spots.

      I took your advice and started birding the mouth of the Gualala River and this morning it paid off.  I had a Prairie Warbler first at 8:15 and then again at around 9:00.  The bird was very actively foraging low in the willows adjacent to the main path about 100 yards west from Highway 1.  It was easy to locate each time since it was continuously pumping its tail (as is typical of this species).

      I'm not sure what the area is commonly referred to but it is just north of the bridge over the Gualala River on the west side of Highway 1 and it's where the local kayak place launches their boats.

      Good Birding,

      Rich Trissel