Redstart & negative search for Virginia's & BTBW

  • Bob Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2008
      29 Sept 2008 - Chuck Vaughn & I searched for the Virginia's Warbler and Black-throated Blue Warbler at Chadbourne Gulch this afternoon. No luck! One the east side of Hwy 1, quite a ways up the "ATV trail" we found a mixed flock of 3-4 Townsend's, 2 Yellow's, 1 Black-throated Gray, 1 Hutton Vireo, 1 Ruby-crowned Kinglet, and a "Yellow"start Warbler. Also seen were a flock of Cedar Waxwings and a Red-shouldered Hawk. Interestingly, the warblers were totally silent ... but they did respond to pishing.
      1 Willow Flycatcher was seen near the bottom end of riparian zone near the beach parking lot. With this storm front moving in, there is a wind out of the south which is helping to drop the migrating birds to land ....this will probably change once the rain hits. A "gray-headed" Orange-crowned Warbler was seen in the next willow draw north of Chadbourne Gulch. Various parties are birding Usal and the coast over the next two days and it will not surprise me if more notable vagrants are found. Good Birding! Bob Keiffer