Long-eared Owl

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 28, 2002
      Last night (Wed Feb 27) a group went back out to Montgomery Woods for
      the Barred Owl. Again we had success at the Kellieowen Grove. On the
      drive back to Ukiah, George Chaniot, Ollie Kolkman, and I had a
      LONG-EARED OWL at mm 37.02 (this mm is only visible when driving east)
      along Orr Springs Rd. The bird was perched on a reflective marker
      beside the road and flew up when we drove by. We stopped and backed up
      and got a longer look at the bird still perched on a marker. After a
      few seconds it flew down the hill to the south and out of sight. We got
      out and played a tape but got no response.

      - Matthew Matthiessen
    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 28, 2005
        Sorry for the late posting

        Wed, 26 Jan 2005, 5:55-6:15 PM -- At dusk this evening I was walking along
        West Road near my home in Potter Valley. I heard what sounded like a
        LONG-EARED OWL hooting from the ridge to the west. So I hopped a fence and
        trespassed across a field for about a quarter mile for a better listen. I
        wanted to make sure that it wasn't the bellowing of cattle, which can be
        pretty similar at times in pitch, duration, and quality and at the same
        time of day. The owl moved closer in response to my imitation, and we were
        separated at about 300 yards. I could not entice it to fly into the nearest
        oak for a visual where it would have been silhouetted in the last light of
        the evening, but I did hear about 15 hoots at good range over a twenty
        minute period. It was a clear, still evening. This is a Long Overdue Bird
        (LOB) for me here in Potter Valley. I know of one other record

        Thu, 27 Jan 2005 -- I went back to the same place at the same hour to
        listen again, but I did not hear any owl. This evening was windy with low
        clouds rolling by and the beginning of sprinkles. Unlike last night the
        chorus of Pacific Chorus Frogs was deafening.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA
      • chaniot@pacific.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 24, 2005
          Sat, 24 Dec 2005 -- I heard two hoots from a Long-eared Owl this evening
          from West Road in Potter Valley about 1/4 mile north of my home. The time
          was 17:37 - just about when all the light was gone from the sky. This was
          exactly the same place on the western ridge that I heard one calling back
          in January.

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA
        • Bob Keiffer
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 29, 2008
            Sunday - 29 June 2008 - Last week a UC researcher reported to me that she & fellow surveyors believed that they had several young Long-eared Owls respond during their night-time surveys on adjacent property to the UC Hopland Research & Extension Center. I played a Cornell tape of juvenile Long-eared Owls for her and she thought was identical to what they had heard. Tonight I ventured out to the vicinity of where they had heard the reponses. I arrived at around 9:20 PM at a side road on the UC Hopland REC ...which bisected open grassland and the dense hardwood forest where they had heard the earlier responses. I sat quietly on the tailgate of my pickup as I prepared the tape caller and spotlight. During this time I thought I heard a strange bark-like owl call about 100 yards away in the dense forest. I proceeded to call the typical Long-eared owl "hoot" call for about a minute. After waiting a few minutes I called again with just a few hoot notes ....and waited again. The third time that I called I saw the silhouette of an owl fly in from the direction that I had heard the earlier bark-like call ...and it alighted in a tree about 60 feet away from me. I turned the tape caller down low and proceeded to play the tape again while I had the spotlight ready. Within a couple notes of playing the owl left its perch and flew directly over me ...at which time I flipped the spotlight on the bird which was 25 feet directly over my head. It circled two complete tight circles directly over me in grand light ....I could see the orangish facial disks, the vertical streaks on the breast, the dark "coma" marks on the underwing "wrists", the "barn owl" size as compared to huge size that a Great Horned Owl would be. There was no doubt .... an adult Long-eared Owl. The owl flew back to the direction that it came ....I turned the light off as it disappeared about 250 feet away. Good birding! Bob Keiffer

          • Robert J. Keiffer
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 2, 2008
              Tuesday - 1 July 2008 - Chuck Vaughn & I met with several other
              birders to pursue the Long-eared Owl that I posted on Monday. We
              arrived at the site shortly after 9:00 PM. Even before I had the
              caller equipment set up, at around 9:15 PM, two Long-eared Owls flew
              out from the hardwood grove and flew about over the open grassy
              field, sometimes flying overhead. One of the owls lighted in a dead
              oak for about one minute ....one could see short ear tufts through
              binoculars. I believe that this was an immature bird ...but I cannot
              be sure. We never did hear them vocalize, but they put on quite a
              display for a couple of minutes. Later a Barn Owl flew over the same
              grassy field ...it had much faster wingbeats than the LEOWs ...and of
              course was very light on the underneath side as compared to the
              LEOWs. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

              Robert J. Keiffer
              Principal Supt. of Agriculture
              UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
              4070 University Road
              Hopland, CA 95449
              (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

              arena." Theodore Roosevelt

            • Bob Keiffer
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 5, 2008
                Friday - 4 July 2008 - The family of Long-eared Owls discovered at the UC-Hopland Research & Extension Center has now moved about a half-mile from the original site. This is good news to those who wish to pursue this species as the new site is right along University Road ...which is a county road with access to everyone. For the last two nights the family group of three or four fledged young plus at least one adult has been at this location. To get there, go to Hopland on Hwy 101, then east on Hwy 175 to a small community called "Old Hopland" (there is no sign). As you pass through this little community you will reach a round-a-bout on Highway 175 ...head north onto Old River Road. Go about 200 yards and University Road will be on your right (east side). Follow University Road ....you will pass irrigated pasture on your left and vineyard on your right, then cross a cattleguard and pass an old barn on your left. Continue on University Road as you begin to climb a fairly steep grade. As you climb the grade the road makes a sharp turn to the right, then makes another jog-turn to the right, and then you will see a large pullout on your right. At this point you are almost at the top of the grade climb. Below this pullout, which is to the south, is a small pocket canyon of thick oaks, pepperwoods, etc. BE THERE AT DUSK, by 9:00 PM, and listen quietly for the juvenile calls, a high pitched, single note "eeeeckkk" (identical to the Cornell juv. long-eared owl recording). Last night all of the juveniles were very vocal, and could be seen flying through the trees occasionally. We were able to get one good look at a perched bird. One adult was there for a while but then flew to the north and away, I presume to hunt for nightime snacks to bring back to the young. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

              • Robert J. Keiffer
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 13, 2009
                  13 January 2009 - Tuesday - Chuck Vaughn & I checked on the
                  Long-eared Owls this morning and only found one bird in the
                  pepperwood roost tree. Why both birds were not there today I cannot
                  explain as they seemed quite settled in yesterday as I left them. The
                  bird today was much more scittish than yesterday and flushed as I
                  attempted to get a good photo. I will try to monitor the tree from a
                  distance in the future. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

                  Robert J. Keiffer
                  Principal Supt. of Agriculture
                  UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
                  4070 University Road
                  Hopland, CA 95449
                  (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

                  arena." Theodore Roosevelt

                • George Chaniot
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 25, 2010
                    Wed, 25 Aug 2010 -- I was awakened at 03:30 this morning by what sounded
                    like a group of geese calling in the moonlight. I went out on the deck to
                    listen and instead I heard a LONG-EARED OWL calling about 150 yards away.
                    It called four times in 15 minutes, or about once every five minutes. This
                    was my third encounter here in 31 years. I never did figure out the goose
                    thing - maybe a very distant group of coyotes yapping.

                    George Chaniot
                    Potter Valley, MEN, CA
                  • Robert Keiffer
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 21, 2012
                      21 November 2012 - This morning, while awake but still in bed (Feliz Creek Road, one mile west of Hopland), I was surprised by the typical long hoot calls of a LONG-EARED OWL. At first I was thinking Northern Saw-whet Owl or vehicle backup alarm, but careful listening clarified the monotonous long-low hoots of the long-eared owl. The calling started at 5:17 AM and stopped abruptly at 5:20 AM. The nighttime rains had stopped and the skies were filled with stars at the time ...soon to be covered by thick fog. I could not pinpoint the exact location, but I believe it was coming from an oak-covered small ridge with many7 grassy openings about 1/8 mile away.

                      Good birding. Bob Keiffer rjkeiffer@...<mailto:rjkeiffer@...>

                      [Toolkit_Email_Sig_WIN]
                      Robert J. Keiffer - Superintendent
                      4070 University Rd.