Re: Barred Owls

  • Jay Withgott
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27, 2002
      If the intent here is a desire to avoid disturbing an unusual species, I think
      the vast majority of birders are very supportive of that. But in this case
      the species (Barred Owl) is one whose range is expanding and is showing signs
      of displacing a native species that happens to be endangered (Spotted Owl). I
      don't personally know the details of the evidence for the interference
      competition, but my understanding is that Pacific Northwest birders and
      resource managers alike are somewhat alarmed at the incursion of Barred Owls
      into the Spotted Owl's range. So I'd suggest we be more concerned with
      treating our native and endangered species well than with accommodating
      individual birds that are vagrants or at the edge of an expanding population.

      Jay Withgott

      Jay Withgott
      Freelance science writer
      San Francisco, California
      phone 415-452-6763; fax 801-218-8209
      withgott@..., withgott@...

    • JHUNTER323@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002
        Birders,

        I had the pair of Barred Owls (and the saw-whet) last night at Montgomery
        Woods. They started calling on their own about 6:00. What a great place to
        spend time looking for birds. Thanks very much for keeping everyone
        informed about those birds. If I'd checked my email I would have known to
        look for that long-eared. Ouch!

        With all due respect to Robert Keiffer and the California Parks and
        Recreation biologist that did not want the word about these owls to spread
        too far, I find this request (i.e., "don't post to CALBIRD to outside
        birders") somewhat unreasonable. It does not seem fair to attempt to shun
        members of a user-group simply because some members of that user group broke
        the rules in the past. I doubt if other outsiders are similarly shunned.
        There is a real bias out there in some circles against birders, especially
        the dreaded listers, which baffles me. When you consider habitat loss,
        feral cats, noise/trash from all the (non-birding) visitors, etc., wildlife
        in State Parks face much bigger threats than those posed by birdwatchers. I
        should note that the biologists at State Parks bust their butts to help
        wildlife.

        Sorry if this was an inappropriate use of this excellent listserver.

        John Hunter
        Arcata, CA
      • Robert J. Keiffer
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 20, 2004
          Saturday, January 17, 2004, Heard two Barred Owls calling back and forth
          just at dusk at Montgomery Woods State Park. They began at about 6:00 PM
          on their own. The assumed female was responding from the se direction (we
          were at the first main "Grubb Grove"grove of big trees) .. calling
          somewhere near the Kellie Owen grove. The assumed male was calling from
          the eastern segment of the loop trail and worked his way down the hill in
          the direction of the parking lot. They called for about 15 minutes or
          so. No other owls were heard.

          Robert J. Keiffer
          Principal Supt. of Agriculture
          UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
          4070 University Road
          Hopland, CA 95449
          (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

          Theodore Roosevelt

        • vishnu
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 15 10:00 PM
            Hello all,
            I hit it good this afternoon. Walking in Montgomery Woods I was just at the
            Kellieowen Grove when the deep silence exploded with a deep owl call
            somewhat behind me and then from within the grove a more complex Barred Owl,
            "Who cooks..." type call. They spoke loudly to each other for a few minutes
            as the first owl flew into the grove; eventually joining the other on a high
            branch and apparently food which had been brought in was exchanged.
            Good views for about a minute and then the one flew off leaving its mate in
            the grove.
            This occurred at 6:20 pm and though I remained in the area for another hour
            there were no subsequent vocalizations or appearance.
            Vishnu
          • Robert J. Keiffer
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 4, 2005
              Thursday - 3 February, 2005 - 6:40 PM - Jerry White and I ventured to
              Montgomery Woods S.P. which is about 14 miles west from Ukiah on the Orr
              Springs Road (just past the Orr Springs Resort) in hopes of hearing the
              Barred Owls that have resided there for the last couple of years. Both
              Jerry and I had unsuccessful attempts during the last month. This time
              we were successful, hearing two Barred Owls calling back and forth from
              high in the treetops in a southerly direction from the Kelly/Owens grove
              ...which is on the SW end of the main walk loop. This is consistent with
              their location from prior years. No other owl species were heard despite
              an ideal night for hearing sounds in the distance (no wind/no water
              noise). Over the years I have personally heard six species of owls here
              ... Barn Owl, Spotted Owl (no seemly displaced by the Barred Owl), Barred
              Owl, Saw-whet Owl, Northern Pygmy Owl, and Western Screech Owl. Good
              Birding! Bob Keiffer