Amer Redstart at Glass Beach & Canada Wblr at Usal Camp

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2008
      Sat, 13 Sep 2008-- This morning I noticed a female AMER REDSTART
      at Glass Beach in the lone cypress tree near the beach.  Barbara Dolan
      found a RUDDY TURNSTONE among the many shorebirds in the huge
      wrack of kelp on the beach.  There were 6 Marbled Godwits, also.

      Jerry White called to tell us about the CANADA WARBLER at Usal.
      We hopped in Barbara's truck and drove directly up to Usal.  Jerry
      was still birding, where he also found a imm/female "Yellowstart"
      east of the bridge in the Usal creekbed.  We spent over three hours
      looking, waiting and listening for the Canada.  Jerry heard the call,
      which is somewhat like a Com Yellowthroat, but it is sharper and
      brighter.  We heard the call, too.
      After Jerry left, I (Karen) finally saw the CANADA about 3 or 4 times,
      putting together bits and pieces of what I saw. The bird called numerous
      times during this drawn out search to try to get a full look at the bird.
      Unfortunately, Barbara did not get good looks, which we both hoped
      for badly.  We finally had to leave for home.

      At least Barbara got the Am Redstart for a MEN County bird - hooray
      for that.

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg, CA