Shearwaters

  • Ron LeValley
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 10, 2008
      For the second day in a row, hundreds of Sooty Shearwaters are passing by
      the Little River Headlands close to shore. Among them I've picked out a few
      Pink-footed and Buller's Shearwaters.

      Ron

      Ron LeValley Photography
      Mendocino Coast Photographer Guild and Gallery
      301 North Main Street
      Fort Bragg California USA 95437
      Cell: 707/496-3326
      Gallery: 707/964-4706

      For a free natural history Picture of the Day in your e-mail, go to
      <http://www.levalleyphoto.com/gallery/omw.php>
      http://www.levalleyphoto.com/gallery/omw.php
      Check out <http://www.levalleyphoto.com/gallery>
      www.LeValleyPhoto.com/gallery archived OMW photos!
      To add or remove yourself to this list, or to suspend receiving the pictures
      temporarily, go to <http://www.levalleyphoto.com/gallery/omw.php>
      http://www.levalleyphoto.com/gallery/omw.php

    • Tim Bray
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 22

        21 August 2017 (Monday) - Lots of Shearwaters flying north (mostly) off the Mendocino Headlands, some fairly close in.  I counted 47 in a few minutes of scoping.  I think they were all Sooty Shearwater, but there were also some farther out that I couldn't ID.  Also three Rhinoceros Auklets flew by, and a group of four small dark birds flying very close to the water in a flap-and-glide pattern, possibly Petrels.

        The big female Peregrine Falcon is back on her usual roosting spot on top of Goat Rock off the north headland.

        --
        Cheers,
        Tim