Borax Lake and Clearlake

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2008
      I checked Borax Lake last evening. The peep flock had been persistently hanging out on the island near the south end during the past two weekends, but this time they were on the shoreline at the end of 12th Street (south end of lake). Unfortunately they scattered shortly after I arrived. About half of the flock flew to the island, but I failed to relocate the SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS among them (sunlight quickly faded), although they could still be present. It appeared to be the same flock, accompanied by an adult LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER and a GREATER YELLOWLEGS, that had been present since the previous weekend. Strange how shorebird turnover is so high at Kelsey Creek but not at Borax Lake (with the exception of phalaropes). I also saw a HORNED GREBE (my first for Borax Lake) and at least five CINNAMON TEAL.

      Incidentally, I think it's okay to walk down the dirt road to the shoreline near the island. A year or two ago I was birding there when the owner drove up to check me out. As soon as he realized I was birding he assured me it was okay; he told me there were other activities going on there that he couldn't tolerate, which is why the fence and cable were put up.

      I hoped the southward-bound jaeger or some of the terns would be loitering with the CALIFORNIA and RING-BILLED GULLS (I counted 155) off Austin and Redbud Parks in Clearlake, but there was nothing unusual among them.

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, CA