So Coast MEN County 9/7/08 - BGGN

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2008
      Sun, 7 Sept, 2008 -- Scarse on the MEN coast was a Blue-gray
      Gnatcatcher.  Am Dipper & Willow Flycatcher were the other best
      birds we could find this day. PG&E held a planned power outage,
      so Jim and I went birding at Miner Hole Rd,  Windy Hollow Rd,
      Garcia River & Mountain View Rd.
      Hoping to find Sooty Grouse, we drove from Hwy 1, back and forth
      just after dawn, along Mountain View Rd. The Dipper was seen at
      the bridge over Rancheria Creek.  (It was on the same rock that I
      got my MEN County Dipper 5 or 6 years ago).  Alas, we did not
      see a Sooty Grouse.
      The Blue-gray Gnatcatcher was along Miner Hole Rd.  (Apparently,
      the BGGN is only seen about once a year, or less, on the MEN
      coast).
      The Willow Flycatcher was at the Garcia R. beyond the west end
      of Miner Hole Rd. Otherwise, only saw the usual migrants could
      be located in this area.
      We walked the Garcia River in the Windy Hollow Rd area, but
      nothing out of the ordinary was seen here, either.  The high
      pressure was just beginning to give way, with some patchy fog.
      So, I wish we could have done this trip in a few days from today.
      Oh well-- next time.

      Karen Havlena
      Ten Mile area