Barred Owls

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 26, 2002
      Last night (Mon Feb 25), George Chaniot, Roger Foote, and I were able to
      confirm the presence of two BARRED OWLS at Montgomery Woods. We
      initially heard a single bird from the Grubb Grove at about 1900 hours.
      The bird was at great distance but the eight syllable "who cooks for
      you" call was clearly discernable. Over the next two hours we walked
      the loop trail attempting to get closer to the bird. When we reached
      the Kellieowen Grove, two birds erupted in chorus right over our heads.
      I was able to spotlight one bird as it flew between a gap in the trees
      but this was the only time we saw a bird. The two birds called
      intermittently for about 30 minutes from this grove giving both the
      barking call and the who-cooks-for-you call. The owls always stayed
      high up in the trees and, given the pain in our backs, we're fairly
      certain their favorite tree is the world's tallest.

      As we were leaving the woods at 2115, we heard a NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWL
      from the high point of the path just above the Grubb Grove. As we
      whistled in response to the saw-whet, we could still hear the Barred
      Owls calling in the distance.

      For anyone attempting to hear or see these birds, I recommend starting
      at the Kellieowen Grove. I would also strongly encourage a very
      conservative use of tapes. We used tapes sparingly and at low volume
      and had no problem hearing the birds.

      Good Birding
      Matthew Matthiessen
    • Jay Withgott
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 27, 2002
        If the intent here is a desire to avoid disturbing an unusual species, I think
        the vast majority of birders are very supportive of that. But in this case
        the species (Barred Owl) is one whose range is expanding and is showing signs
        of displacing a native species that happens to be endangered (Spotted Owl). I
        don't personally know the details of the evidence for the interference
        competition, but my understanding is that Pacific Northwest birders and
        resource managers alike are somewhat alarmed at the incursion of Barred Owls
        into the Spotted Owl's range. So I'd suggest we be more concerned with
        treating our native and endangered species well than with accommodating
        individual birds that are vagrants or at the edge of an expanding population.

        Jay Withgott

        Jay Withgott
        Freelance science writer
        San Francisco, California
        phone 415-452-6763; fax 801-218-8209
        withgott@..., withgott@...

      • JHUNTER323@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1 5:40 PM
          Birders,

          I had the pair of Barred Owls (and the saw-whet) last night at Montgomery
          Woods. They started calling on their own about 6:00. What a great place to
          spend time looking for birds. Thanks very much for keeping everyone
          informed about those birds. If I'd checked my email I would have known to
          look for that long-eared. Ouch!

          With all due respect to Robert Keiffer and the California Parks and
          Recreation biologist that did not want the word about these owls to spread
          too far, I find this request (i.e., "don't post to CALBIRD to outside
          birders") somewhat unreasonable. It does not seem fair to attempt to shun
          members of a user-group simply because some members of that user group broke
          the rules in the past. I doubt if other outsiders are similarly shunned.
          There is a real bias out there in some circles against birders, especially
          the dreaded listers, which baffles me. When you consider habitat loss,
          feral cats, noise/trash from all the (non-birding) visitors, etc., wildlife
          in State Parks face much bigger threats than those posed by birdwatchers. I
          should note that the biologists at State Parks bust their butts to help
          wildlife.

          Sorry if this was an inappropriate use of this excellent listserver.

          John Hunter
          Arcata, CA
        • Robert J. Keiffer
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 20, 2004
            Saturday, January 17, 2004, Heard two Barred Owls calling back and forth
            just at dusk at Montgomery Woods State Park. They began at about 6:00 PM
            on their own. The assumed female was responding from the se direction (we
            were at the first main "Grubb Grove"grove of big trees) .. calling
            somewhere near the Kellie Owen grove. The assumed male was calling from
            the eastern segment of the loop trail and worked his way down the hill in
            the direction of the parking lot. They called for about 15 minutes or
            so. No other owls were heard.

            Robert J. Keiffer
            Principal Supt. of Agriculture
            UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
            4070 University Road
            Hopland, CA 95449
            (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

            Theodore Roosevelt

          • vishnu
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 15, 2004
              Hello all,
              I hit it good this afternoon. Walking in Montgomery Woods I was just at the
              Kellieowen Grove when the deep silence exploded with a deep owl call
              somewhat behind me and then from within the grove a more complex Barred Owl,
              "Who cooks..." type call. They spoke loudly to each other for a few minutes
              as the first owl flew into the grove; eventually joining the other on a high
              branch and apparently food which had been brought in was exchanged.
              Good views for about a minute and then the one flew off leaving its mate in
              the grove.
              This occurred at 6:20 pm and though I remained in the area for another hour
              there were no subsequent vocalizations or appearance.
              Vishnu
            • Robert J. Keiffer
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 4, 2005
                Thursday - 3 February, 2005 - 6:40 PM - Jerry White and I ventured to
                Montgomery Woods S.P. which is about 14 miles west from Ukiah on the Orr
                Springs Road (just past the Orr Springs Resort) in hopes of hearing the
                Barred Owls that have resided there for the last couple of years. Both
                Jerry and I had unsuccessful attempts during the last month. This time
                we were successful, hearing two Barred Owls calling back and forth from
                high in the treetops in a southerly direction from the Kelly/Owens grove
                ...which is on the SW end of the main walk loop. This is consistent with
                their location from prior years. No other owl species were heard despite
                an ideal night for hearing sounds in the distance (no wind/no water
                noise). Over the years I have personally heard six species of owls here
                ... Barn Owl, Spotted Owl (no seemly displaced by the Barred Owl), Barred
                Owl, Saw-whet Owl, Northern Pygmy Owl, and Western Screech Owl. Good
                Birding! Bob Keiffer