Least Bittern

  • white-jerry
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2008
      Brad Barnwell found and photographed a Least Bittern at the outlet this morning. Jerry White

    • Bob Keiffer
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 8 8:11 AM
        8 Aug 2010 - I spoke with Jessica about her recent post of a Least Bittern
        at the USTP. After discussion with Jessica we soon determined that she had
        recalled a recent post on Mendobirds of a Least Bittern (however, it was
        Clear Lake, Lake County, on July 31st) and she made the mistake of thinking
        it was from the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant (USTP). Jessica wishes to
        retract her post admitting that she jumped to conclusions a little too
        quickly and most probably observed a Green Heron, perhaps an immature.

        I would like to point out that birding is a skill that is honed by personal
        interest, reference checking and experience. None of us start out as
        "expert" birders, and we are all constantly learning more about the bird
        species and their likes and dislikes for habitat use. I certainly wish to
        encourage all birders to post unusual sightings as quickly as possible to
        Mendobirds as I would rather track down a few mis-identified birds in order
        to immediately know about that one, new, rare species that shows up in the
        county. So I encourage such postings, not every common bird that you see
        (that is what Ebird is for) but by all means the less common, unusual,
        out-of-place, out-of-season, first-migrant arrivals, etc. And thanks to
        Jessica for understanding the situation.

        The Mendocino County Bird Records Committee reviews all first and second
        observation records of a species found in Mendocino County (we automatically
        accept records of the California Birds Records Committee (CBRC) for birds on
        the state "review" list) Go to http://www.californiabirds.org/ for more
        information where you can search for the rare "review list" Mendocino County
        records.

        Good Birding. Bob Keiffer